temps/uth

jess

okay so i just got my new baby leo 5 days ago & i just wanna be sure wut the temps 4 suppose 2 be at. is it 85-95? cuz i've read mixed answers on that. & my heat pad gets 2 hot, so is there ne where i can go & purchase like a dimmer sort of thing 2 turn down the temp? wud this mess up the uth dimming the temp down tho? my lil nemo's only maybe 2 inches long, so he's a lil mini :) i just wanna be sure i'm doing everything properly. also, do i need 2 leave the uth on overnight? wut does every1 prefer 4 a light 4 me 2 see in2 the enclosure(that won't disturb/hurt my gecko's eyes)?

Geckomaster743

okay so i just got my new baby leo 5 days ago & i just wanna be sure wut the temps 4 suppose 2 be at. is it 85-95? cuz i've read mixed answers on that. & my heat pad gets 2 hot, so is there ne where i can go & purchase like a dimmer sort of thing 2 turn down the temp? wud this mess up the uth dimming the temp down tho? my lil nemo's only maybe 2 inches long, so he's a lil mini :) i just wanna be sure i'm doing everything properly. also, do i need 2 leave the uth on overnight? wut does every1 prefer 4 a light 4 me 2 see in2 the enclosure(that won't disturb/hurt my gecko's eyes)?
Here is some Exact Information.
Temps at night should range from 72 - 76.
Temps in the Day Should range rom 80 - 93.
If your worried about Brightnes buy a Special Type of Light that allows you to change the brightness They sell alot of those at Petsmart, I buy the Flukers brand.
Heatpads are ok but they can get too hot too fast, So id stay with lights.
Never Turn the brightness to FULL. Thats like shinning the sun in your geckos eyes which bother most geckos Especially Albinos.
Do Not Leave the UTH On all night, Buy a Light with a Dimmer...Alot of the time i cant sleep if i can guarntee its saftey.

jess

okay, awesome! thanks 4 ur help darkmaster!!! :) i've been reading that many ppl have mixed feelings on whether 2 use a heat lamp or a uth. many state that wut matters most is that ur gecko's belly stays warm, so an uth wud be best. but since i'd like a light so i can see in the enclosure neways, i might as well just use a heat lamp. i have a fluker's ceramic heat lamp(not the bulb, the actual dome)w/a dimmer switch on it 4 my beardie. but it makes my bulb's dye rather quickly. hence the reason i stopped buying bulbs from pet stores & just went 2 lowe's 2 get a cheaper heat bulb. i have a very little fluker's heat lamp dome from when my beardie wuz lil, along w/a 50w red heat bulb. but it keeps my gecko's tank 2 hot. eventually once i get a few extra bucks, i'd like 2 upgrade 2 a 20g 4 nemo. than maybe the 50w heat bulb wud work a lil better, rather than keeping his 10g 2 hot!

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I use heat rocks,'cause leos need belly heat to digest. You can put a nice flat rock over the uth to diffused the heat. It works great. Putting the rock under a red bulb will do the same thing. Butthe important thing is that your little one has hides in both the warm and cool sides, so they dont have to sacrifice comfort for safety.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I'd go with a light instead of a UTH for the reasons you listed, jess

jess

okay i wuz leaning more towards a heat lamp neways. well it's settled! but now all i have 2 do is figure out some way 2 keep the light from getting so warm. i have a 50w red heat bulb, but it gets 2 hot! i've used a dimmer w/my bearded dragon b4, but it kills bulbs so quickly! i wuz thinking of getting a rheostat, but i'm not sure how much they cost! is there ne other lower wattage bulb i cud use 4 heat?

Caleb C

You can use any bulb you want, as long as it gives off enough heat. I use reptile carpet, with a uth, because they need belly heat to digest, i also put an exo terra 60w sunglo on top, and it reaches around 85-90 degrees. You can buy a typical dimmer from home depot or lowes, but you need to monitor the temps all the time, to make sure it's right. The best way is with a thermostat, but those usually run for 100+ dollars, so you can just buy a light dimmer. You can choose to leave the uth on at night if your house gets cold at night, I usually leave mine on, since it gets to like 68-70.

jess

You can use any bulb you want, as long as it gives off enough heat. I use reptile carpet, with a uth, because they need belly heat to digest, i also put an exo terra 60w sunglo on top, and it reaches around 85-90 degrees. You can buy a typical dimmer from home depot or lowes, but you need to monitor the temps all the time, to make sure it's right. The best way is with a thermostat, but those usually run for 100+ dollars, so you can just buy a light dimmer. You can choose to leave the uth on at night if your house gets cold at night, I usually leave mine on, since it gets to like 68-70.
okay, thanks 4 the reply caleb!!! i wuz thinkin of gettin a smaller uth & a dimmer 4 the light. but i live in florida so i really don't need both & it only drops down 2 75 degrees in my house at night. & the warmer months have yet 2 come! lol

Visit our friends