THermostat/Incubator Q's

jakemyster44

I am wondering if any of you have had experience with the Herpstat Proportional Thermostat. If so, what are your thoughts on it? Does it keep a steady temp?
I have been thinking alot about making an incubator, and have finally decided that it will be a smart move in the long run. I plan to do the following:

-Make a box (without a front) out of Melamine coated particle board.
-Cover the outside of the box with .5" or 1" foam board
-Case the foam layered box with plywood
-Silicone all the edges of the inside of the melamine box, to keep humidity/spills from getting into contact with the wood itself.
-Drill holes in the back to accomodate the thermostat probe, and FlexWatt cord.
-Attach a wire shelf to provide more area for placing egg containers (I will most likely design the incubator to hold four SIM container, two on each level)
-Hook up the FlexWatt and thermostat
-Make a front door on the incubator that includes a large plexiglass veiwing window. I will be sure to have a good seal on the door to keep humidity in as well as to keep temps from fluctuating. I will find a way to insulate the door as well, with a removable peice of foam that fits the front window when I'm not looking through it.

Does this sound like a good idea? Athin plastic board would be great to use in place of the melamine, I am wondering if anyone knows if and where they would be available. I am also wondering where you find the wire shelves to install into the incubator? Would it be possible to make one? Thanks.

jakemyster44

Here is a quick illustration of what it would look like:
Incubator.jpg

Also, I have concidered using a mini fridge, but I just like the look of this alot better, especially since I can make a veiwing window, and build the size to fit my needs.

Redleg

I have three Herpstat proportional thermostat. I love them. Two have the night drop feature (Herpstat ND) built in and one without. I love them, maintains temp very well and accurate readings too.

I love the night drop as it allows me the drop the temp a little in the evening to simulate the coming evening and the geckos start coming out and looking for food......feed time :main_thumbsup:

For my incubator, I use the standard Herpstat and it too maintains very accurate temp.

If you are building an incubator....though it may be fun and challenging, spend the time and do up a cost analysis, I did just that and found out that it was far cheaper for me to purchase one then to build one and I glad to have made that decision.

jakemyster44

Cost Analysis:

LLLReptile Pro Incubator-
$150+ shipped

vs.

Custom made incubator-
Herpstat Proportional Thermostat &
Flexwatt Heat Tape - 11 in (2')
-$128 shipped (thebeanfarm.com)

Then theres the price of foam (already have), melamine, plexi glass, plywood, and silicone. A custom incubator will end up costing more than that particular model from LLL (the one I'd get if I don't make one) but I think that in the long run it may be worth it. With a custom incubator, I have the ability to make it just about whatever size I want. Also, like Gregg said in another thread, it would be nice to be able to see all the "internal" parts of the incubator. That way, if one part were to break I could easily take it out and replace it, rather than replacing the whole unit.
I have an idea regarding the front veiwing window that I'd like to get your opinions on. Rather than keeping a peice of foam in front of the plexi glass when I'm not veiwing the eggs, what If I were to use two peices of plexi glass and have a .5 or .5 inch gap between them. I would seal all around the edges with silicone to make it virtually air tight. Do you think that this would be an adequate way of providing insulation, while still being able to see through the front window? Thanks for reading.

Visit our friends