throwing up

BuddyTony

my albino leopard gecko seems to be throwing up big blobs of mealworms. shes been doing it for a couple weeks now. is that some kind of sickness?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Animals will sometimes do this if they get frightened after eating. Is there anything causing her to get frightened? Maybe she's eating too much? What external factors do you think might be involved?

Geckomaster743

Alright that is defenitly not normal. First of all ive never dealt with some thing like this but ill give you some advice.
1. Resort to feeding her Small MealWorms.
2. If the Throwing up Continues use Repta - Aid ( Flukers ) Found at Petsmart/Pet Co
3. After using Repta Aid as a Sub contact a Vet, She may have a Parasite.

BuddyTony

she lives in a 20 gallon tank the temp is 80 i feed her 6-10 mealworms a day and theres nothing i can see that would scare her

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Could be parasites like Darkmaster said then...
If you feed just a few mealworms does it happen? Does it happen every time?

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Maybe try crickets or roaches for awhile. Mealworms have a pretty thick outer covering that can be hard to digest for some animals (mostly frogs). If she's got a parasite or something else that affects her ability to digest the worms, it might make her throw up. It may be reaching, but that's all I could think of.

This isn't your really skinny gecko, is it?

Geckomaster743

How often do you feed her, By the way Repta Aid is a Liquid Diet full of Vitamins and some Fats to Sub the food that a Gecko refuses to eat. You should not use the Repta Aid if your Gecko is eatting fine. And i do recommend trying smaller worms, And make sure you dont over feed. Heres what i suggest. Every Day feed your Gecko 2 - 3 Meal Worms. At such a small age she shouldnt be fed 6 - 8 worms at once. Here are the List of things that could be happening to your Gecko right now.

1. Dehydration ( Take a Syringe and try offering water )
2. Parasite ( Your going to need a Vets anlysis and make sure to Seperate the Gecko from others if you have any. This will Require Medicine/Vet Trip )
3. Over Feeding ( Its not your fault but you may be over feeding your gecko, Try to ease it up to 2 - 3 Worms a day )
4. Worm Size ( The Meal worms may be too big, Dont feed Worms bigger then the length across there fore head )
5. Variety ( What else are you feeding your Gecko? If its Pinkies THATS A BIG NO NO. Other wise Try mixing some stuff up like Small crickets,small roaches like amanda said.)
6. Vitamin Defincey ( As weird as it sounds your Gecko may be acting weird because of a Vitamin/Calcium defeincey. Try dusting it should help with Digestion. )

Geckomaster743

Dawnson i think we just found your Problem. I just edited my Post so re - read it but dude 6 - 10 A DAY!!!!! I feed mine 2 a Day ( Small Geckos ). I think your gecko is just having a tummy Ache. Ease it up to 2 - 3 a day. By doing this you may just reverse this throwing up thing and your gecko wont end up obese in the future.

Visit our friends