Tips for new U. fimbriatus owner

IHaveTooManyAnimals

Hey all,

A month ago I didn't even really know anything about the leaf tail geckos but today i just bought my second one and I am going to try to breed them, but i want to get them established first.

I work for a local pet shop (neither Petco or PetSmart) and have kept all sorts of animals: Fish, lizards, and all kind of invertebrates. So, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or any other useful information I could pilfer, as I hear Uroplatus, especially Wild caught individuals, are especially tricky to get to thrive (as are most WC animals).

I got this wild caught female about 2 weeks ago, she's about 27 Cm long give or take, and I wanted to wait until she's eaten to schedule a vet appointment but I don't believe she's eaten yet. I've tried roaches, crickets and super worms, I do plan on starting a little snail farm when they start coming out this spring/summer for them since I also have pufferfish and a false chameleon that will also readily eat them. (I've heard that they will also eat aquatic snails. Anyone tried this?) She drinks with no problem however. since she hasn't eaten in these 2 weeks I'm gonna get her scheduled for one regardless at this point. 20230411_221751.jpg
(this is her after I first got her in her quarantine tank 2 weeks ago)

Screenshot_20230421_223918_Snapchat.jpg
(this was her yesterday as i was checking her tank for evidence of eating as well as cleaning and changing paper towels)

I will be purchasing a wild caught male tomorrow who I know is eating very well as he has had multiple bowel movements while at my work.

I do feel like her quarantine cage might be too crowded and would appreciate your guys' input: 20230408_211954.jpg

I do have one more question that I haven't found a proper answer for; that being what their D3 requirements are. I have a couple of Repashy supplements like Calcium Plus, Calcium Plus LoD and SuperCal HyD. are a combination of these sufficient? Will one do the trick? Or is there another supplement I should purchase.

They're such a fascinating animal and there are very few captive bred individuals in America atm and I would love to get some lil babies out there.

Thank you for your time,
-Henry : )

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Hi and welcome,
I'm not a Uroplatus keeper and I doubt you'll find one on this site. I would imagine that Repashy Calcium Plus is a great all-in-one supplement and will probably be fine. I assume you've done a fair amount of internet research on their husbandry. I'm including links to 2 articles from Gecko Time about keeping Uroplatus. Note that they were written 10-11 years ago and I have no idea if the authors/writers are still in the hobby. Check out morphmarket.com, do a search for Uroplatus and see if you can contact some of the individual breeders as opposed to the big online businesses. You can also try geckosunlimited.com. They have a Uroplatus subforum but I don't know how many people are really attending to it.

Aliza

IHaveTooManyAnimals

Hi and welcome,
I'm not a Uroplatus keeper and I doubt you'll find one on this site. I would imagine that Repashy Calcium Plus is a great all-in-one supplement and will probably be fine. I assume you've done a fair amount of internet research on their husbandry. I'm including links to 2 articles from Gecko Time about keeping Uroplatus. Note that they were written 10-11 years ago and I have no idea if the authors/writers are still in the hobby. Check out morphmarket.com, do a search for Uroplatus and see if you can contact some of the individual breeders as opposed to the big online businesses. You can also try geckosunlimited.com. They have a Uroplatus subforum but I don't know how many people are really attending to it.

Aliza
Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check them out.

Visit our friends