Tips please!

G

GeckoMandi

Ok I'm going to take the plunge within the next couple of weeks to a month and purchase my first crested. I have researched them pretty good and had a few questions about care, food etc..

Sorry for all this but I couldn't find a good caresheet for them!!

What is a good size to buy, I want a smaller one not far from hatchling size.

I'm going to house it in a either a 20 gallon tank or the exo-terra large glass terrarium we aren't even using anymore.

Ok here's ??

Do they require dusting like Leopard Geckos?
Do they require a bowl for calcium?
Water bowl?

I know they can eat GCD, can that be there main food source and crickets and mealies as weekly treats?

Is eco-earth, bed a beast a good substrate and also a good way to keep their humidity up? isn't %80 they need?

I was also going to add a UTH with thermo to go under the tank to keep up humidity as well is this a good idea?

I know I need to buy some fake plants for climbing hiding, I think that's all I can think of at the moment feel free to add anything or give me tips!!

Thanks

EDIT: Also who are some good crested breeders?

Perefalcon

Jill?????
http://www.pangeareptile.com/id52.htm

There ya go, there's a great care sheet, and Matt is a wonderful breeder as well.

but for the size of the tank that you're talking about, you may want a larger crestie. A baby will get lost in something that big!!

As for your nutrition questions The CGD is a complete meal replacement, which means it contains the calcium and vitamins already that the crestie needs. And yeah they do need a water bowl. you can supplement them with bugs every week or so, they are fun to watch when they're hunting! They can eat mealies, crix and mine like small lobster roaches. The bugs should be dusted though

they don't really need a UTH, they prefer room temp. The eco earth I'm not sure of, I keep all mine on reptile carpet, that's done fine so far, matt's caresheet says that a peat moss substrate is a good idea.

the Exo Terra fake plants are great, mine prefer the ficus leaves, they give better cover than any of the others. You can also add real plants, just make sure there's no chemicals in the soil. They like pothos plants, ficus and philodendron, I've had the best luck with the pothos and ficus.

Hope this helps!!!!

PS. I've got an adorable dalmation male that I'm selling, he's not that old, but he's a real sweety

Last edited:

marula

wellcome to the crested family!
i'm soooooo happy for you! i'm sure you whant to buy more of them after your first ;)
i use like house for babies (the first year) a simple plastic fauna box (from wall mart, 5$)...the 20 gallon thank is too big for an hachiling...
i buy my smaller one at his one months...and he is healthy and eat good...don't buy them too small...not before 4/5 weeks...
in the pic there are my babies faunas...i only take out the little plastic cage and i put more silk plants (from wall mart too...3$ each..you can use one for 2/3 crested fauna)..the cover is the same plasti cover of the fauna but cut and with insect sceening...
inside there are the wather bowl and the bamboo (one or 2) ...i use paper towel like substrate with my babies...is more steril and save...
this is my food schedule:
one day baby food with CGD, 2 days with crickets (the first day with calcium), one day baby food with CGD,2 days with crickets (the first one with calcium), etc etc....
if you see some calcium problem put your crickets with calcium one day more (some crested are more sensible than others and need more calcium..i have one baby, same bloodline of others, with calcium problems: with this schedule with more calcium he is healthy now :main_yes: )
i agree with perefalcon, they prefer room temperature...you need to umidificate one time a day (during evening) all day (they need a high level of humidity than leos ;) )

the most important tips: take the one you like more ...they ahve a ton of different morph and colors (but remember...if you buy a baby,baby can change the color a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOT during the first year ;) ..so,if you whant a special color or morph or sex you need to buy a sub-adult one)
keep us update :)

Last edited:
G

GeckoMandi

Hey thanks for that link great resource for sure!

Marula that is a good idea for housing, I also have 8-10 10 gallon tanks with screen lids is that to large?? But I was going to create something really cute for a living room set-up to start out with, and I have the 20 gallon tank for when it gets bigger.

marula

i prefer put mine in a small fauna plastic box ;)
for check if everyting is ok...expecially the first 3/4 moths...
i think the 10 gallon will be ok when he/she will have 7/8 months...and the 20 will be ok for sure for a cople of them ;)
we are soo curious to see your new baby...you will have a lot of fun for sure with your new crested! i love them

G

GeckoMandi

This is what I've heard about cresties, oh well I'm moving out soon so who knows maybe Mike will be building a crested rack?? muhahaha..LOL

W

WftRight

I'm still a real newbie, but here's my setup.

cg_cage_18oct06z.jpg

I feed her the T-Rex CGD in paper squat cups and leave the squat cups in the clear plastic soap dish at the top front of the terrarium.

cg_cage2_18oct06z.jpg

In the back of the terrarium, you can see a white thing with holes. That's a suction cup shower caddy that I got at Wal-Mart. She actually likes to sleep in there. Sometimes, she'll spend all day every day in that thing for two or three days.

I'm likely going to get rid of the Misty Mountain volcano soon. The fogger just doesn't work that consistently. I prefer very robust stuff that works with minimal upkeep on my part.

Speaking of robust equipment, does anyone have experience using the various waterfalls made by Exo-terra or Zoo Med? I've thought about replacing the volcano with a waterfall.

Thanks,

Bill

G

GeckoMandi

That's an awesome set up!!!

Here is mine what do yall think? Tonya should be shipping mine soon!

pics003.jpg

SpOuK-3-

You know what i have done ... Temperature was @ 70 degree, i have read that it need to be between 75 and 80 but not higher than 80 ... ive put a UTH carpet under the cage ... And, temp is @ 76 degree and humidity @ 82% ... Wooow! it fix all the problems ...

Visit our friends