Toffee

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
Toffee is very pretty :) A few of mine occasionally have a toe with shed, they seem to think the humid hide best serves as a bathroom, but with a quick soak it comes off really easily.

Last edited:

KTyne

Kayla
Thanks guys! It's been really difficult to get the shed off of his toes, even with multiple baths/soaks. Any time I go to touch his toes with the q-tip he flinches and pulls his leg away so I can never help him ease it off!

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
Try a long soak so you know the shed is moist, and then using tweezers to catch the shed. Don't yank at it - try to let the gecko move it's foot away and pull the shed off itself. If you're really worried about the toes getting damaged (say multiple sheds stuck) use a more tough-love method and just go at it until you get it off. You may have to actually hold his foot and use fingers/tweezers to peel the shed away.

Also, you may know already, but once the shed is off you still have to keep watch for the next few sheds. Places that have had issues before tend to have issues again, especially if the skin's been damaged. The best time to get the shed off is when the gecko has just finished shedding - the natural oils are still there and make shed removal easier. When it's been a while the oils harden and it takes a lot more soaking to get anything loose.

I wish I lived closer - picking shed is almost an addiction for me. Looking at your photos makes me want to pick at those toes (and give kisses to that adorable nose). My skinks tend to appreciate help when shedding, but my geckos are more fidgety. Thankfully, the geckos also seem better at dealing with shed themselves. Still, I think it's a wonderful way to spend 30 minutes :)

B&B Geckos

If soaking in water alone is not doing the trick, follow with a soak in a few millimeters of mineral or vegetable oil (just enough to cover toes) for a few minutes. Then, use a swab in a rolling motion and/or blunt tweezers to remove the shed. If too fidgety, roll or bunch up the softest cloth you have, place your gecko on top, and press down very gently to hold her in place with another soft/cushiony clothing item while you remove the shed (fleece works well).

Last edited:

Visit our friends