tokay housing

T

tokay_kid

right now i have a tokay in a 15 gallon tank.should i build my own reptiratium made out of mesh so he could be healtheir,or should i leave him how he is.
I wanted to give him alot of climbing room so he could be happier.

T

Tokays_Unlimited

To be honest just stick with the enclosure that you have.
Mesh caging is not that great for Gekko gecko.Also it is alot easier to build a melamine cage measuring 24x24x24...Honestly tokays are not that hard to keep.Generall rule is keep them warm humid and well fed..Alll that keep a hot spot in the cage really is not nescisary as long as the ambient temp is around 83 then you are fine.
Look at it this way.They are nocturnal and in there natural habitat (java,tanimbar etc.) they are hidden beneath canopy's.Not just because they are nocturnal but to avoid the extreme temps above.;)
Sad thing is that there are to many generic care sheets out there from people who have no experience with the genus.:main_laugh:

T

Tokays_Unlimited

Ohhhh and as a side note.A ceramic heater with a reostat and plenty of cork bark tubes or halfs are a good way to go for security.Of course laying vertically in the tank.:main_thumbsup:

T

tokay_kid

sorry

Picture343.jpg

T

Tokays_Unlimited

Looks fine.....But i would addd alottttttt more cork bark and more hides to that enclosure....

T

Tokays_Unlimited

ReptileMan27 said:
That looks good but defently add more hides. With tokays bigger is better, so if you could do a bigger tank, that would be great.
Not exactly man...I have had them breed in 10 gallons standing upright many of times.
If you actually visit there local and see how ubandant they are.Honestly they move within about a 2 ft. radius and are ver protective of that area.;)

ReptileMan27

Tokays_Unlimited said:
Not exactly man...I have had them breed in 10 gallons standing upright many of times.
If you actually visit there local and see how ubandant they are.Honestly they move within about a 2 ft. radius and are ver protective of that area.;)
I have always heard bigger was better for tokays, most people put them in to small of cages. I have talked to several people that keep their tokays in 100+ gallon tanks and say they use all the room and they wouldnt mind going biggger. A 10 gallon is to small IMO, I had mine in a 29 gallon and would of liked to go bigger.

T

tokay_kid

mine is currently in na 15 gallon and im adding another when i upgrade to a 29 gallon.I am adding plenty of branches also so he will feel like home in the wild.since he is wild caught from southeast asia.

ReptileMan27

tokay_kid said:
would planting live plants be harmful in a tokay tank.
It would depend on the type of plants, their are some safe ones but I couldnt tell you because I dont use live plants, I prefer fake, easier,safer etc..

Visit our friends