Transporting

Reptarissorad

I need to transport my 1 year old leopard gecko 7 hours north. I live in Michigan and it's really cold and there's snow on the ground. What's the best way to move my little guy and keep him warm?

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
best not to do it, but if you have to do it, make sure you have the car warmed up. then get a box, a tupperware container just big enough to hold the gecko, and a heat pad. put the gecko in the tupperware. put the tupperware and the heatpad in the box. keep the box lid shut to hold in more heat. monitor the temperature. good to go.

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
if the temps in your car are warm, you should have no problems. just don't leave him in there with the car not running for any extended period of time.

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
fuzzy logic, you ever been to the north? its pretty cold. i remember driving with my family in the mountains in january when i was a kid. it must have been 20 or 30 below. even with the heat on full blast we were still all wrapped in winter clothes and blankets, and you could see your breath in the car.

the car heat might not be enough to keep the leo from going into shock.

gixxer3420

Just pack the gecko like you would be shipping him out. Put a few heat packs in there and make sure the car is warmed up. The geckos will be fine with out any problems.

Reborn

LOL im in northern MN so i know how cold it can be(its -30 right now) What ive done to transport(not no 7 hours! but 4) is do as you would with shipping just as Gixxer has said. Box, container, newspaper, and heat packs. I threw in a thermometer in mine too so i could monitor it. With the car warm and it warm in the box it was pretty warm. Stayed around 60 to low 70(heat was on max most of the wayXD) the geckos(i transported 5 then) when i uboxed them were all just fine. Very alert and active. They even ate that night. Just make sure youre not tempted to peek! they loose alottt of heat if you open it...>.> I had heard movement(like flailing) and opned mine. It droped a bit.

Visit our friends