Turning a tank on its side. Need some input.

little98dime

Hey everyone. I have a 30 long that I want to turn on its side for one of my girls. What can I do for a door that will allow ventilation? I was thinking just using a window screen with hinges and a latch or two, but I am worried that she would climb the screen and maybe fall off, hurting herself on the slate tile. Any and all ideas are welcome.

newfieb

on one of my tanks i have a metal mesh lid that fits over the top of the tank (it doesnt fit inside the top on the plastic lip that is there) This lid has a centre hinge on it so half of the lid can flip open while the other half stays put. When the tank is on its side if you glue (with hot glue from a glue gun) the bottom half shut so the top the opens downward. Then all you would have to do is figure a way to have a latch of some sort to hold the top half shut. you could maybe tie a piece of string through the mesh part with one end of the string and with the other end wrap it around some sort of hook that you could glue to the glass. im sure that would work but its up to you. The great thing about using hot glue from glue guns is that when the glue is cold and dry it can be taken off the glass or almost anything its stuck to without leaving any kind of mark. Glass is the easiest to remove the glue from. All you do is get a pait scrapper that you would use to take paint off of glass. Hope this helps

newfieb

another thing if you dont want the gecko to climb the lid put some sort of tape on the inside of the lid so it makes a smooth surface on the mesh and that should stop the leo from climbing the lid

cucarachafea

I have sliding plexiglass doors on my tanks with a couple of holes drilled on the top. It works great and allows plenty of ventilation.

Visit our friends