U.SAMEITI IN DANGER, NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

scintillatingstar

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased two geckos. One, the Female, came in not great condition, but showed improvement physically over 2 days. The male came in in Horrible condition, emaciated, dehydrated and on his death bed. 2 nights later he died.
The female has been doing fine, however, she has not eliminated yet. She gets misted 3+ times daily because she was in such a large enclosure with only paper towel. However, the paper towel was always kept moist.

THE PROBLEM. I redid her cage today, I put in 3 live plants, coco fiber substrate, then coconut chunks on top of it (little squares). She stayed on the screen top during this whole time and I did not want to stress her so i left her there until i needed to move her. It was completely finished when i picked her up and realized HER EYES ARE ABOUT TO EXPLODE> NO JOKE. They are both CLOUDY, as if she is BLIND. Her RIGHT eye is HUGE and sticking out a lot, and the yellow rim around her eye is HUGE. her LEFT eye is not as bad, CLOUDY like the right, but the yellow rim is not large, its actually thin, and it is not sticking out of the socket.

I THINK SHE IS BLIND, she just crawls aroudn aimlessly, with her head kinda sticking up like she doesnt want to bump it. While on my hand she stuck her arm up in the air as if she was feeling for something to grab and there was ntohing there.

I CAN NOT GET HER TO DRINK, she wont lick any water off the glass, off her eyes, anything.

The best pics could get are here, if anyone has ANY idea what is going on please throw it out here! ANY ADVICE, knowledge on what might be going on, ANYTHING!!!

THANKS!!!
Jill

PICTURES:

The RIGHT eye, the rim (yellow) is huge. You cant tell really from the angle but its really sticking out from the rest of his head. Its clearly NOT clear and very cloudy:
sikoraecageandproblems012.jpg

Right vs. Left side
sikoraecageandproblems014.jpg

LEFT SIDE, you can see her tail is starting to show signs of dehydration because i cant get her to drink
sikoraecageandproblems016.jpg

syntheticreality

Newbie gecko addict
how does the sameiti get the bacterial infection. I've kept her in her own quarantined new cage, she has only been with me for 4 nights now (including tonight).

Halley

She may have had it before you got her, and it is just now showing. That is why it is important to quarantine, and thank god you did.

MonteQ's

Poor girl! I was thinking it may be some sort of hemmorage (sp?) ? My old dog's eyes went grey like that towards the end.

As far as the bacterial infection, the stress of shipping... can bring up all sorts of ugly stuff in these guys. So it is very possible there was an issue to begin with. At this point, the vet would be your best bet probably.

Has she been attempting to pass anything?

scintillatingstar

Thanks for the comments everyone and your attempt to help. Halley, you are so right about the quarantine, i'm so glad that i did that.

I'm trying to handle this as best as i can. I dont want to blow it out of proportion or anything. I also cant help but think, was it my fault?
But when i go over the facts...it really doesnt make sense to me.

i paid for my geckos. On more then one, or even two occasions, he said he would do something but did not or it took many days. He said he would send pictures the next day, he did not. He said he would only charge me a cerrtain amount for holding them then changed that, he said he would send a tracking number but did not. He said that they were eating great and healthy, they DEFINATELY were not.
He also told me if i was dissatisfied in any way he would pay to have them shipped back and he would exchange them or give me my money back because he could resell them. He then added in who could offer a better deal then that. It sounded really good, and I gave him a benefit of the doubt on the delays of things, as i'm sure he works. But one time he said he'd email me something, he didnt, we called, he said he would do it that night, he didnt, we called the next day, and then he did it that night.

I'm really upset about not just the money, but the dishonesty. Had the importer been honest and said they are regressing in health and taken them to the vet instead of being concered about making money, it could have most likely not ended their lives.

C

campasherps

I just came across this thread and wanted to post a response.

I have kept in constant communication with this buyer and agreed to work with them to find a solution.
When I was first contacted I was told that the male was very dehydrated and we had agreed that I would pay return shipping and issue a refund for him. The buyer wanted to ship back on a thursday but I requested to wait until monday in case something was to happen with the package, so it wouldn't be sitting in a warehouse over the weekend.

We know that the female did not have the yellow eye when it arrived and what something that developed in the days following delivery. My question is why was it 4 days after arrival that this thread was posted asking for help? When I notice something wrong I immediately ask for advice or take the animal to a vet immediately as most issues can be easily and quickly be elleviated with a basic antibiotic. All of our imported animals that are kept for future breeders or personal pets are taken to the vet to be checked out and be treated for infection or parasites as should always be done with imported animals.

Both animals were in our possession for a month, and if they were not eating or drining while we had them they would not have lived to be shipped.

I offered to provide a refund for the male without question. As far as the female, the infection was not visible present prior to shipping nor at the time of delivery. Had the female been immediately treated and still did not survive I would gladly issue a refund for both animals. But being that it occurred 2 to 3 days after delivery and was not treated I do not feel that the fault lies with us.

The vast majority of sellers only guarantee live delivery or a 24 hour guarantee. On imported animals there is usually only a live arrival guarantee and nothing more. We were willing to issue the refund after 48 hours.

We have done business with several people on this site and have had no other issues.

If any of you feel we are wrong, please let us know your opinion.

Thanks

scintillatingstar

Leann,
I will not argue with you, especially on the forum. I have ALL of our emails on record, it is evident you did NOT keep in constant communication.
We can carry this farther between us, as it is both geckos are dead and any replies that have been posted on the threads since have been 'sorry for your loss' and that you, the importer, should be held responsible.
So please, lets not make this a giant ordeal publicly, as I'm sure you value your reputation, and we are willing to work with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visit our friends