Ugg, i unpacked

robin

i just unpacked my feeders and put their food in there and i forgot how much it/they bugged my nose.
horrible i tell ya!

*goes to wash out nose with her neti-pot*

Neti Pot

Last edited:

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
Just got 1,000 supers shipped to me yesterday, and I thought I was going TO DIE.

Not only did it take me about 2 hours to unpack the things (I refuse to let them touch me, AND I refuse to just dump the box into their enclosure because I don't want frass in their nice, new bedding), but I kept getting crap up my nose.
I kept sneezing, my eyes were watering, I was DYING, I tell you.

robin

yes mealies and supers, the bedding kills me. it kills my nose. i have this thing called non allergic rhinitis and its BAD. my nose hurts so bad right now i am surprised its not bleeding but uugg it sure is inflamed in there :( but this time of year is really bad for it so the mealie bedding doesnt help it.

rebecca wash your nose, it sounds gross but it does help!

seriously i had to wash my nose out LOL

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
I should.
My nose gets extremely dry on the inside and it itches SOOO badly.
I know, it's weird. When most people's allergies flare up, their nose runs.
Mine does the opposite. It itches and get really dry and swollen inside.
When I try to use a kleenex, NOTHING comes out because it's all dry.
And it gets all sore inside my nose.

robin

mine doesn't run it just hurts and its pretty dry as well and gets REALLY swollen. mine doesn't itch though because i am not allergic to anything. i don't even sneeze (i wish i did! i love sneezing)

but this stuff i have in my nose, well i am gonna have to get surgery for it sooner or later. they will have to scrape out my nose and sinus passages and some other stuff :(

BalloonzForU

Two words!!! Paint Mask!!!!!!!!!

I wear one when I'm unpacking them and changing out their bedding. If I'm just digging in them to fill feed bowls they don't bother me all that much.

Last edited:

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
Mine is the bedding and the super frass.
On mealie nights, when I use a hand strainer of sorts to dig out TONS of them, I kick the bedding up (it's inevitable, I cannot help it), and that starts the sneezing frenzy.

But the mask idea is BRILLIANT!
And my mom should have spares at her house since she wears them to scoop her cat's litter box.
I'll snag one from her.:D

The little things I NEVER think of!

Thanks, Fe!!!

paulnj

I used to get 50k mealies at a time and it would restrict my airway, clog my nose and even gave me inner ear infections.

Unpack them outside if you can and wear a mask.

Many people have severe allegies to feeders like you unforunately, hence my dubia colony to cut back on mealworms.

robin

i am not allergic to them or the dust. i just have this nose condition :(
the dust and stuff causes it to flare up. i get so much pleasure my teeth and ears hurt too D:

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
Don't you LOVE it when your allergies bother you SOOO much that they cause your ears to flare up then that puts pressure on your jaw so you get random jaw discomfort???

That's been happening to me a LOT this year. And I KNOW it's not my teeth because I just had my teeth xrayed and cleaned.

robin

Don't you LOVE it when your allergies bother you SOOO much that they cause your ears to flare up then that puts pressure on your jaw so you get random jaw discomfort???

That's been happening to me a LOT this year. And I KNOW it's not my teeth because I just had my teeth xrayed and cleaned.

but but but i don't have allergies LOL but i get the same symptoms heh and i have this all year long, regardless of worms LOL

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
Neti Pots Rock!
Although I have never had any allergic reactions to any feeders. B. dubia are a great alternative for such reasons they are much meatier then the worms. better to gut load. Putting more nutrition into the geckos. I find the geckos grow faster with well fed dubia. and the geckos require less feeding . meaning you can feed 1 or 2 appropriately sized dubia where you would have to feed 6 or 8 kings or even more regulars.

robin

but you have to raise them and have colonies and i bred roaches years ago and spiders would sneak into their bin D:

plus not all of my geckos would eat them

BalloonzForU

Mine is the bedding and the super frass.
On mealie nights, when I use a hand strainer of sorts to dig out TONS of them, I kick the bedding up (it's inevitable, I cannot help it), and that starts the sneezing frenzy.

But the mask idea is BRILLIANT!
And my mom should have spares at her house since she wears them to scoop her cat's litter box.
I'll snag one from her.:D

The little things I NEVER think of!

Thanks, Fe!!!

LOL I use to use them for the same reason till I got this!!! www.CatGenie.com

i am not allergic to them or the dust. i just have this nose condition :(
the dust and stuff causes it to flare up. i get so much pleasure my teeth and ears hurt too D:

Robin, try a paint mask, it will work wonders, trust me!!!

Visit our friends