ugh. Housing Dilemma

LizMarie

OK so I've had this idea of building a rack/book case for months and I would like to get it done before the end of the year especially with the AFT's here I need to consolidate some space (NYC apartments give you NONE). But I have one issue, what to house the leos in. I was thinking of using these awesome 1/2 15gallon hinged front tanks all 3 tanks ($87) + delivery to White Plains to be picked up ($25) + 3 Screens ($36) will be $148! Not mention the build itself, which I'm not sure how much it's going to cost for materials and labor so I'm looking at approximately $200-$300 on just setting up not to mention two new UTH's and 2 thermometers I have yet to purchase. For some it's not a lot of money but for a non working student trying to pinch pennies it's not very economical and some what impossible. For something more economical and light weight I looked at those Boot Box containers from The Container Store which are similar in size and sorta of clear. Well to test it out I took the one I had and put some hides in it and placed my gecko in it while I cleaned out the tank and put it in the area where I plan to have rack/bookcase and looked at it for awhile. It's decent but the more I think about it the more I don't really like it. What makes it worse is that the rack/bookcase needs to be placed in a specific area because its the only free space with way to an outlet, etc.

Any idea's on how to make or have affordable cages where I can display my geckos a little without going broke or breaking my back during cleaning time?

I was looking at the bin and thinking oh well maybe I can just cut of one of the sides and use that as the "front" and attach a piece of plexi glass to but but I don't even know how to begin or if its even possible.

:(

sammer021486

If you are planning on building a shelf you could get away without purchasing screen tops for the cages. they are really not necessary unless the gecko can reach the top of the tank and get out. I only use screens on my tanks which have water wells in them because if the well is close enough to the tanks side the gecko can climb out, or if you have a cat. But since you want to build your own shelf there is no real reason to spend on screen lids, because the shelf cna be built to be the cover for the tank.

Your other option is to build a shelf unit out of melamine and then have the tanks built right into the shelf its self. Just use screen door/window screen frame and place figerglass or aluminum screen in the screen frame and use that as your access door. Or just buy a book shelf that fits your dimensions then put the screen frame on the shelf to make the door.

Neo.Reptiliac

Look on craigslist. There's people practically giving away aquariums all the time on there. Find one with the approx size you need and then have a glass shop cut the glass for you and then all you have to do is glue the sides together to finish it up. Silicone costs around $7 max a tube. I just took a 30 gallon tank I got for free, bought 2 tubes of black silicone, 2 cans of foam and made my own decorations with peat moss that I already had in the shed, and river rock in the pea gravel size. So it goes to show you can make anything affordable if you just put your mind to it and get creative.

Visit our friends