ultra timid leo

dot_info

Hello, I just got my first leopard gecko almost a month ago. He's a beautiful blazing blizzard named Spike and I've had a number of hurdles in attempting to both tame and feed this little guy. He spends almost all of his time in his moist/cool hide and some time in his hot hide, but very little time outside even after a month. He still seems so terrified of me even tho I've never touched him, I only put my hand down in his tank. When I do this he freezes and slowly closes his eyes as if to play dead and eventually (and very carefully) turns himself around and retreats back into his hide. There is some shed stuck around his toes as well and I'm apprehensive to try and assist him with it in fear of terrifying him even more. He also has only eaten 2 mealworms in the time I've had him, which I've read can sometimes happen especially since it's still winter here, also his tail is pretty substantial so maybe this isn't a pertinent issue for the time being. However I am concerned that he seems so scared all the time. How should I proceed from here on out? Should I give him more time to adjust without trying to tame him or are there maybe some things I can try to get him more comfortable so that he knows my hand is not going to eat him lol. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Neon Aurora

If it's been a month, you can start handling him. As for eating, it probably isn't a big deal unless you see him dropping a lot of weight. I've had geckos in the past that refused to eat for a couple months after receiving them.

I noticed that you said he is spending most of the time in his cool/humid hide. Are you positive your temperatures are correct on the warm side? Sometimes geckos avoid warm hides if it is too hot.

For taming, different people use different methods. My method is to just pick the gecko up. They easily become habituated to being handled. The key to this method is to have a sure hand. Gently pick up the gecko by the midsection, making sure to support the body so nothing is dangling. Sometimes people hesitate if the gecko moves quickly before they can pick it up, but this makes it worse in my opinion. No hesitation, just gently pick up. Once the gecko is in your hand, it is likely to calm down. Do over the floor of the tank, though, just in case he manages to wriggle away.

The other method people use is to habituate them very slowly. They first leave their hand in the tank and do this for a week or so. Than they move to having their hand closer to the gecko and eventually touching it. This method takes longer, but some people find it to be friendlier and less stressful for the gecko.

Both methods work, it just depends on what you prefer.

dot_info

Thank you Neon Aurora, very helpful answer. I have been trying the slow taming method, but he only seems to grow more apprehensive about approaching me. I suppose one concern I do have is that (and this may be unfounded, I haven't researched it) he will feel threatened enough to drop his tail and then have no nutrients to draw from, since he isn't eating yet. Today I opened the lid on his hide and he arched his back so he is obviously feeling threatened already. But I may just take your advice and make an assertive move to get him onto my hand. I'll update with any progress and thanks again :D

Oh and the ambient temp on the warm side vacillates between about 90-95F and the cool side is usually around 75F.

Neon Aurora

I wouldn't worry about him dropping his tail just from being handled. =) It actually takes quite a bit to make them do that. It makes sense by evolution. Their tails hold most of their fat stores, very valuable resource for a desert-dwelling animal. Dropping the tail is an act of desperation, and only a last resort. I've never had one drop a tail. I actually had a one run off my hand while transporting her and I accidentally caught her by the tail. It stayed attached.

Are those temperatures air temperatures, or floor temperatures? If they are air temperature, they are too hot and the ground may be hot enough to burn your gecko. If they are ground temperatures, than they are good.

INDRAJM

I've had my Leo for 2 years and she's pretty much the same way. She allows me to pick her up but she would much rather just chill out in her cave. When I change her water she will stick her nose out as if saying hello. I've just accepted the fact that she's not very social able .

You should try to feed him something besides mealworms, they don't have as much protein as superworms, roaches, or crickets do so maybe he would like to catch something?
I agree with all of the above too, your gecko just has to get used to you. My girl Jezabel was terrified of me in the beginning and now she climbs on her tanks walls to make me take her out [emoji5]

-Maisie

Visit our friends