Underbelly Question

CYBERICK1

Hi! I was just wondering... I was searching for some info on stool as my leo's last 2 stools were kind of "runny/very loose" type (found out it may be that I changed his diet from crickets to superworms...) but I found a couple of post suggesting to look at the belly for dark spots and such... So, as a newbie... I went in to take a look and I now I am left wondering: Other than pink, I see a couple of dark spots (maybe 3 or 4) a couple of centimeters away from each other... Is that normal? What is normal beside seeing a pink belly? (Leo is a Tangerine Tornado, about 3 months old or so...) Just curious as the other post to know what should I see if I inspect my leo from time to time to see if he is Ok and Healthy.

Also, I got a little bit concerned about the fact that ever since I got him a about 3 weeks ago his stool has always had a "strong" smell... and I got clued in by other post that it may be a sign of parasites? {Got to be careful on this one... here leo's are kinda... well... illegal... so I am gonna have to see if a find a local vet that will work with me (and him) if something shall happen to my leo... but again, how normal is "strong/foul" smelling stool? I mean, I don't expect my leo (and I don't think anyone does...) to have it poop flower-smelling stool... right?} :main_rolleyes:

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

MiamiLeos

some of their organs (i.e. liver) are dark and you can see them through the skin. google some pics of a healthy gecko and do a comparison. as for the poop, honestly i have never put my nose to a geckos stool and smelled it, so i dont know if i can help you there. on a side note.... why oh why would you go out on your own free will and bring an illegal animal into your home? not only could you face a definite fine, but the animal will eventually suffer as well because there will obviously be a lack of adequate veterinary care and species knowledge in your area. i really wish you both the best of luck with your decision. take care.

MiamiLeos

quite surprisingly, they are illegal in several U.S counties, parts of canada, and parts of europe because they are still seen as an exotic species. the reason for them being illegal is that certain governments feel that if too many captive leos escaped they could disrupt the natural environment of other native species. bogus. but yea, they are def illegal in some areas.

CYBERICK1

quite surprisingly, they are illegal in several U.S counties, parts of canada, and parts of europe because they are still seen as an exotic species. the reason for them being illegal is that certain governments feel that if too many captive leos escaped they could disrupt the natural environment of other native species. bogus. but yea, they are def illegal in some areas.

Right dead on spot! That's my case...

on a side note.... why oh why would you go out on your own free will and bring an illegal animal into your home? not only could you face a definite fine, but the animal will eventually suffer as well because there will obviously be a lack of adequate veterinary care and species knowledge in your area. i really wish you both the best of luck with your decision. take care.

Umm... if you put it that way it certainly sounds irresponsible... :anxious: BUT wait until you hear my side of the story...

I'll try to make the long story - short: About 3 weeks ago I went in to a pet shop with a friend of mine looking for some stuff for his animals when I walked by a little plastic container that had a small funky colored "lizard" that well... to me, it didn't look quite good (healthy-wise). I asked they guy at the shop what was it in which his response was "Oh that is a lizard that I got for a client who wanted it for his daughter... don't know what I am gonna do with it though cause they no longer want it..." (Turn out this guy had "special-ordered" that "lizard" from the shop owner for his daughter for a birthday present but he wasn't counting on the fact that no one in his family -including the daughter- were willing to handle crickets and worms to feed the poor "lizard"... ( Now how responsible is that? :wall: )

So, uncertain of the little lizard's fate and looking into a not so bright future scenario I had a moment of weakness myself and... being a single guy with not even a dog I decided to take it "under my wing" (and contrary to where he was, take good care of him...)

I knew right off from the looks of it that this "poor creature" was surely illegal here (being in a caribbean island like Puerto Rico) but I had to do something about it... So no, definitely it was NOT a planned thing, I surely didn't plan to buy a "lizard" that in the following weeks would cost me eeeeasily over 5 times the price that I got him just to set him up right in his 20 gal tank with a couple of hides, some cactus plants, various substrates (newbie mistake - I bought CalciSand to just then throw it away due to that I didn't know at the time that sand was "bad" for them... yeah yeah the whole debate thing... I NOW know...) then the various trips to Home Depot for tiles, plus... other accesories like the UTH that I just ordered along with the Herpstat thermostat (not cheap!)... so yeah, it wasn't planned at the time and it didn't even cross my mind that would eventually someday need a vet for him in case of an emergency... and that's exactly why I have been reading posts over posts over posts here and in other information sites for the past 2-3 weeks about what I think is now a tangerine tornado leopard gecko ( not a "lizzard" anymore...:main_rolleyes: ) which I think is now at least partially healthy compared to the state he was when I first saw him... (and I now got the fat tail to prove it! :2thumbsup: ) so pleeeeeeease give me at least a liiiittle bit of credit for bringing an illegal unplanned "child" to my home... :cool4:

Now back to topic:

Vets here are all about dogs, cats, birds, horses, hamsters, possibly cows and mayyyyybe snakes... maybe they have the theory on herpetology but not the practice, plus I need to find one that would be willing to attend him being illegal... so, I thought I asked about the underbelly thing so I could know what was normal as I inspect him from time to time. I actually googled the prolapse thing as I read here a couple of post about it but wasn't sure what the heck it was but I didn't think of googling up the underbelly thing... so my apologies for that one.
About the stool, I actually don't go around smelling it when he poops... but sometimes (not all the time though...) if I am close to the tank I KNOW he has pooped because of the smell... now its easy to identify due to that ever since 1 1/2 weeks ago he started pooping in the same place... but the first week he was doing it all over the tank. I will try to find a vet here that at least will inspect the stool (for the time being) just to make sure it's not parasites. But the rest, as long as he stays in good shape as he is doing now I am hoping to be able to take care of him. Plus the UTH and Thermostat I just ordered gives me better hopes of making him more comfortable both in digesting his food up and his new "home-wise" feeling.

Thanks for the tips about the underbelly! Just wanted to make sure if it was normal to see a couple of dark spots through... :main_thumbsup:

MiamiLeos

i can relate you you. i cant count the times i've fallen over a poor pet store baby lol. they just tug at your heart strings! anyways, it sounds like you really care about this little guy and im glad hes doing well. so many of the chain store reptiles have parasites that i would probably say he does and yes his poo is an indicator. i have 3 in a 20 gallon and i cant tell if they poo unless i see it. as far as finding a vet, i would try with the ones who treat birds because usually birds and reptiles go hand in hand in veterinary care. so if you can find a vet, i would deffinetely get him wormed and possibly on some antibiotics. if you cant find a vet the most important advice i can give you is KEEP IT CLEAN. reptiles, leos included, have a very weak immune system. a small lesion can literally be the end of them. so weekly disinfecting of his cage with a 1:15 or 1:20 bleach solution (let it dry really good) and spot sanitizing of his poo area (try to pick up his poo whenever you see it) can really make a huge difference. leos will do great with sanitation and the proper temps, so once you have that you're all set! best of luck with the little guy and dont be afraid to post us a pic or two of him ;)

Visit our friends