unexpected egg help pls!!!!!!!!!

T

the_wizard

i saw today that my female gecko layed a egg on the heating pad.I didnt buy vermiculite and i dont have a incubator..but what i do have was a spare tank with a heating pad already on i transfered the egg in it position and placed it on the heating pad..i covered it 3/4 in the warm sand(desert sand)...whats the chances of the egg hatching?? is it to late to buy the incubator and vermiculit tomorrow???

Ga_herps

Southern leo breeder
was she in with a male? If no breeding occurred then most likely its a dud. It is most likely that egg is non-viable by now. As for purchasing an incubator you are better off making your own. For buying vermiculite make sure it is not the stuff made by miracle-gro which has fertilizers in it. I would suggest going to ebay and purchasing vermiculite or perlite.

Khrysty

Actually, assuming it was a fertile egg (also assuming she was in with a male) and you didn't turn it at all, that egg should still be good. Measure the temp of the area where the egg is now (stick a thermometer probe into the sand). If it's between 83 and 90 it should be good.

You can buy an incubator and vermiculite for more stable temperatures and a better chance of it hatching. But the way you have it set up now, if the temperatures are fine, the egg should hatch just fine.

Visit our friends