Unhealthy Leopard Gecko

leopardgecko09372

image.jpg
Recently I’ve rescued a leopard gecko and she was kept on sand and wasn’t fed a proper diet. I’ve had her for only a few weeks now and I’ve noticed that she has a huge bump/ bubble under her arm. I want to take her to a vet right now, but the closet vet appointment I can book is in a few weeks. I’ve did some research and found out that this could be due to over feeding or too much calcium. Another thing I’ve noticed is that she’s become very lethargic and isn’t moving or exploring like she used to. If anyone could help me or give me some good advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There has a been a lot written about those bubbles under the arm. Years ago people thought it was a sign of a female that was healthy and ready to breed. Then people began saying it was due to too much calcium. All I can say is that my many leopard geckos are fed and supplemented the same way (dust feeders with calcium+D3 every other feeding, i.e. once a week) and while most of them don't have those bubbles, some do. Consequently I'm not entirely sure what they are but I'm skeptical that it's the calcium.
Many leopard geckos, when introduced to a new environment, spend a bunch of time exploring and licking everything. Sometimes when they figure out they've learned their new environment they get a lot less active. If your gecko is eating but spending a lot of time just sitting in its hide, this is pretty normal. If you'd feel more comfortable taking it to a vet for a "checkup" by all means do, but it's not an emergency.

Aliza

Visit our friends