Update on my Geckos (DUW)

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
I figured it's about time I weighed my geckos and took some updated pictures. They're all growing so beautifully and even my issue-geckos are doing better :) Lots of pictures, with some questions at the bottom.

Adamma - classic female, 19g
Image054.jpg

Image053.jpg

Image052.jpg

Thema - classic stripe female, 21g
Image051.jpg

Image050.jpg

Image049.jpg

Kanene - caramel albino female, 18g
Image048.jpg

Image047.jpg

Image046.jpg

Jubilani - stripe caramel albino male, 18g
Image044.jpg

Image043.jpg

Image042.jpg

Kanika - het caramel albino female, 21g
Image041.jpg

Image040.jpg

Image039.jpg

Zaire - stripe amelanistic male, 20g
Image038.jpg

Image037.jpg

Ajani - whiteout male, 22g
Image035.jpg

Image034.jpg

Image033.jpg

Serwa - het patternless female, 23g
Image032.jpg

Image031.jpg

Image030.jpg

Runako - patternless male, 17g
Image029.jpg

Image028.jpg

Image027.jpg

Winda - stripe patternless female, 15g
Image026.jpg

Image025.jpg

Image024.jpg

Mandisa - classic stripe female, 28g
Image023.jpg

Image022.jpg

Image021.jpg

Image020.jpg

Draak - classic male, 42g
Image019.jpg

Image018.jpg

Image017.jpg

Nalo - amelanistic female, 48g
Image016.jpg

Image015.jpg

Image014.jpg

Kianga - amelanistic female, 48g
Image013.jpg

Image012.jpg

Image011.jpg

Nubby - leopard gecko, 51g
Image009.jpg

Image007.jpg

Image004.jpg

Image002.jpg

Question:
Most of the little geckos (first 10) were born in August 2012. So they're 7 months old right now, and all around 20g. They have food available all the time, and seem to be chubby and looking great. But I read today on a breeding article that some breeders have breeding animals at 7m/o, weighing 40g+. How on earth do you get them that big that fast? Are mine tiny, or are they about normal? I wasn't planning to breed now anyways, I just want to know if I'm missing something?

Updates on my issue-geckos:
- Nubby is definitely blind in the one eye, but he's doing fantastic. He's chubby and full of life. He screams at me when I mist his tank :main_laugh:
- Draak, who was originally huge but wouldn't eat for me, still doesn't eat much but he's improving bit by bit. I still wish he would eat more. He has a long way to go before he's back to his original size.
- Mandisa, who was on antibiotics for her mouth/neck issues, is still skinny and has an odd face, but every shed she seems to improve quite a bit. She's eating and is bright and active, so hopefully the rounds of medicine have beaten whatever was causing her issues. Her frog-neck is still weird - no idea if it will ever be normal.
- Adamma, who was having shedding problems for a while and wasn't eating, is totally back on track now, no more issues.

Little Tails

a lovely bunch of fatties and leo :) , in regards to weight i think they are fine weights for your fatties, a lot of people overfeed their fatties which is why they get so big so quick, i think growing at a more steady rate is much healthier for them. Also some people breed them ASAP, we prefer to let them become adults and 18months -2year seems a more suitable age for breeding, that way you know they are fully developed :) hope this helps.

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
Yes, I don't want to power-feed any animal, I was just worried that maybe they were growing too slowly. I'm in no rush to breed them, I just want to make sure they're healthy. They really look great to me (chubby bellies, the tails are really starting to fill out) but I don't really know what the norm is for growing fatties.

Little Tails

they look fine to me! fatties grow at a much slower rate than leos, looks like your doing a great job so i wouldnt worry :) we have got one approx 7 month old fattie which weighs 17g, as long as they are eating well and gaining weight at a steady pace i wouldnt worry :)

geckobabies

African Fat Tails <3
Nice group of fat tails for sure and great photos! :) Thanks for sharing.

I agree with Lewis. Fat Tails grow at a slower rate than Leopard Geckos.. just how slow depends on a lot of factors. Babies can be more difficult to feed depending on what you start them off on... some are poor eaters because of stress and other environmental factors.. but on average I would say yours are just fine.

We don't breed our geckos until they are 45g+ and at least one year old. A slow steady diet has worked well for us.

Visit our friends