UPS Shocker

FloridaNature

Learning
I have two beautiful female Carrot tails sitting in 40 degree weather in Louisville, Ky thanks to UPS !!

So UPS forgot to load the "Live Animals - Perishable" box on the plane and they mark it (Exception - Package left at Facility) in their tracking board.

I called 4 times & talked to four different agents & 2 supervisors and they all claim that the planes leave Louisville, Ky once a day and after that is over!!

They can only be shipped the following day!!!

I asked all four and told all four that time is of the essence and animals lives
were at stake and all four said tomorrow the earliest, period!!

How can this be?

I also asked if I could go to my local hub & get them before they hit the truck. Two claimed a delivery had to be tried once before
a hub pick up was possible & two said to call them at 8AM when they open........ I told them they will be on the truck by 7 - 7:30 AM
and they then said " Be home to get them" !!! AAARRRGHHH, are all UPS employees idiots?

Rant over. Well....not really but for thanks for letting me vent.

)((^*^%&&^(*&^)(&*_

Last edited:

Sikmike

That must feel hectic sorry. I'm receiving my gecko next week, but from Fedex, hopefully they won't screw up ><

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm really sorry you're going through this. If it's any comfort, geckos can survive these conditions (not that they should). I had a juvi day gecko sent to me 2nd day air USPS a few years ago and the package got lost and didn't arrive for 3 days. She was in a cold coma when she got to me, but warmed up and is with me nearly 4 years later. If for any reason the geckos are really cold and seem as if they're in a coma (and I don't expect that would happen at 40 degrees; the weather for mine was more like 12 degrees), warm them up slowly. I held this one in my hand and breathed on it.

I'm hoping for the best.

Aliza

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Welcome to the holiday shipping season, chaos! We sent out three shipments yesterday and I was shocked that they all made it on time today (Go FedEx!).

As long as the shipper packed them properly they should be fine in your overnight temperature range. Just be home to sign for them in the morning at let them sit at room temperature to slowly increase their body temp. Remember that they're cold blooded so if the box is 50F and the room is 70F it's going to take a while to reach that temperature let alone human hand temperature of 80F+ so keep handling to a minimum at first. Try not to get too stressed! It's better for Leos to be too cold than too hot.

B

Bob

I shipped out some cresteds UPS overnight yesterday, and they didn't arrive until 5:00pm. So I think I am going to wait until after the Holidays to ship anymore. I shipped some other geckos UPS overnight earlier in the week and they all arrived on time, so maybe it was just that package.

dprince

Mod Squad Member
I'm so sorry you're going through this. :( Shipping this time of year can just be hectic. Like others have said, as long as they're packed well, they can survive those temps amazingly well. I'd much rather have packages held up in the cold than in the hot weather. :main_thumbsdown: I'm thinking positive thoughts for ya. ;)

FloridaNature

Learning
That is terrible! I am really sorry =/ I hope everything works out! Please let us know what happens.

Well they arrived at 9:30 AM alive.

After my rant yesterday & all the UPS agents & supervisors tellling me that they would go out at 3 AM to FTL as there are no other planes leaving that day ........the tracker shows they left Louisville at 3PM & then went to Columbia, SC & the to Miami,FL then up to me in Pompano, FL.

They were covered in poop from head to toe & quite sluggish and grumpy
but alive and beautiful!

I will try & post a pic in this thread later to show them off.

Thanks,
Michael

JordanAng420

I'm glad they made it safe as well. And you live right near me! I've definately made my decision as to which carrier I will NOT be using.

Courtney Bailey

The sad thing is it was Ship your reptiles. They apparently * are * UPS.
I'm glad your baby gals got to you safe Michael, I know they are going to a good home.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I'm glad they made it safely. This time of the year is horrible for shipping. (It's not just UPS)

Visit our friends