Urgent Issue's Please READ!

Geckomaster743

Hey guys, This is probably my forth post in the past few months about the Eye infections ive been dealing with recently. I want to start with I think iv'e tracked the source, and it seems to be a Vitamin problem.. I haven't ever been too good at getting vitamin's in to my gecko's systems or even gut loading at all which is probably why all this is happening. A lot of people have had the same eye infection or Cloud/foggy eye problem, and they all say it's a Vitamin A issue. Neo has been dealing with this for four month's, and I feel like he still has a chance at being able to see again if I give him vitamins. What do you guys think? I really really would have taken him to a Vet before but my parent's dont care about my pets. In fact they are trying to get me to sell them/ get rid of them all the time but I don't know any one that i'd trust with them because I've had them all for one to three year's and I really don't want to part with them. So i'm forced to find good vet deal's or deal with this at home. I wish it hadn't taken me this long to find out what was wrong though I confirmed it was a Vitamin problem because the third gecko to come down with this " Eclipse " had been given Vitamin's two day's after I found out what it was, and two days after she contracted it. Her eye is looking much better so I plan on feeding them Syringe's of water full of Electryolyes, Calcium, and Mixed Vitamins including Beta Cartone though I'm not sure it can replace Vitamin A though it is known to be a good replacement because Vitamin A is toxic in high levels. Besides Syringe - Feeding, and Gut loading are there any other suggestion on how I should feed/ get this in to their system's, and is there any thing additional I should do for Neo. I've also heard about some saline/ salt water solution that help's with the eyes but I don't want to make things worse. Please comment, and give suggestions.

One last thing. Achilles has had shed on left eye for 10 Day's now that I attempt to get off every day by getting the inner eye moist though it's stuck on to his eye and eye Crust and gunk is beginning to form around it, and it shouldn't be long before an infection gets on to him. I'm not going to let it happen to him because I will take him to a Vet if needed ( I talked to a former GT member named Landen who hooked me up with a few vets, and Ive done some research in my area ) though is there any way to take it off with out messing with the Pupil. And how do I get his eye open. Before I shook him around slightly so he would think he's falling so he had the urge to open both eye's but now that only opens the right eye which is much better then the left but also has some really small shed pieces on the edge's that occasionally bother him. Please comment, and read this guys :) Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There has been some stuff written about vitamin A and gecko's eyes (e.g. http://www.geckotime.com/vitamin-a-deficiency-in-leopard-geckos/). It's still not clear whether that's the problem. My vet thinks leopard geckos are having eye trouble because people are keeping the vivs too hot (air temp above low 70's) and they are getting dehydrated leading to eyes drying onto eyelids. I agree that Repashy calcium plus is a good source of balanced vitamins including vitamin A. If the gecko isn't really eating, you can dip your finger in water, dip it in the calcium plus and rub the paste on the gecko's mouth. It will probably lick it off. I don't know if stuffing them full of supplements is the best way to go --maybe too much too late. For the gecko with the gunky eyes, I recommend using a q-tip to put drops of water on the eye at least several times a day. I've been successful helping hatchlings born with notched eyelids develop reasonably well using this method.

Aliza

Geckomaster743

Another gecko is having problems, and it is confirmed to be a case of MBD in her hind legs. She was shaking a ton so I thought she was just getting really hot, and trying to cool off but when I googled the reason for shaking every thing popped up as MBD so we tested her running capabilities outside of the cage, and she just dragged her back legs. Apperantly every problem i'm dealing with in the entire collection is because of Lack of Vitamin/Calcium hand outs. Thanks for the eye suggestions though i'll get to those now. How long do you think it would take for her to recover from MBD in the back legs if given Rep - Cal Calcium supplementation? Well I guess now I know the importance of handing out vitamins. Though I don't think it will take more then a month for her to start walking on the back leg's again according to my last encounter with MBD In another gecko.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Make sure you're providing the following:
--a source of calcium without vitamin D3
--a source of calcium with vitamin D3
--a vitamin/mineral supplement

Repashy calcium plus contains all of the above
Another reasonable source is Rep-cal calcium and Rep-cal herptivite multivitamins

Aliza

Geckomaster743

THATS SO COOL! OMGOMGOMGOGMGGOMG!?!?!?!? ASDJALJFHASFKJASD>!>!?!?!? Lmao, Sorry I'm having a spazam. I have read ton's of your articles. So honored to have some one like you on our website but I pretty much got the hints after you kept referring us to your Posts on Gecko time so I was like " wait a minute! "!

Visit our friends