URGENT little question: How many holes for air should be in the tubs?

tb144050

I just got in 6 Leos and they are in tubs with 8x 1/4" holes in one end of each tub. I have to leave the house in about 30 minutes so I really don't have time to search...

Is that enough fresh air for them? I don't want to put holes in the rear/warm end because I expect that venting the warm end will vent off too much heat (same as putting a couple holes in the top because heat rises).

Please let me know if I should put more in. I think it is enough, but I don't want to ASSume...because we know what happens when we ASSume... :O

Thanks!! :)

DrCarrotTail

As long as the tubs have a bit of a gap at the top between the tub and the shelf and/or a few holes they'll be fine for a while. I put 9 - 1/4 inch holes in the fronts and 9 in the backs (I like the pattern that way!) of my 15 quart tubs. I intend to drill another half dozen on each side once I find the time and motivation...lol. I find the main thing the holes do is prevent excess moisture from building up inside the bins. They also circulate air but the leo will have enough to breathe in the bin with only a couple holes. Keeping him in higher humidity long term may cause issues but for the short term it shouldn't do any harm :)

tb144050

I have alot more drilling to do on some new $0.97 tubs...lol I am worried crickets can get through those holes (trying to breed crickets). From now on, I want to drill 3x as many holes but only 1/8" so the insects cant escape..lol

I have a little gap at the top, so I keep the lids on.

Visit our friends