Uroplatus Sikorae Sikorae

jfreemo75

3 Year Member
We are trying to breed sikorae, but it is not such an easy task. For the females to lay eggs, they need to have a diet with high levels of calcium. This is a bit tricky. We dust our crickets with calcium powder, but by the time the geckos eat them, the crickets don't have much calcium on them, either from crawling around the cage and climbing through the substrate, or from getting wet from the mistings. I have heard that land snails are a great source of calcium, but once put into the enclosure, they hide and there is no way to tell if the geckos have gotten to eat any of them. We have 2 breeding pairs of sikorae, and 3 babies so far. Getting them to lay is the first hurdle, getting the eggs to hatch is the second. We have yet to find an ideal way to incubate so the eggs hatch. We got the first 2 to hatch wiithout an incubator, just like a crested egg, but now in the cooler months, this isn't working. We finally purchased an incubator, and hatched 3 more eggs, but the last hurdle is keeping the hatchlings alive, They are not as hardy as cresteds, and only live on insects, so if they are too weak to hunt, they starve. Which has happened to 2 in the last few months. Right now we are working on keeping the ones that are surviving happy and healthy. Hopefully in the future we will get it right and get alot of good eggs that hatch into healthy babies that can make it on their own.
We've actually got one that has a crooked back, that everyone told us probably wouldn't survive, but he's still alive and kicking, and just as active and healthy as his clutchmate! He's already 5 months old, so I'd say that's was past the worrisome stage. 2011-03-20 034.jpg 2011-06-21 009.jpg
2011-06-23 002.jpg 2011-06-24 002.jpg

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Wow Julie - What a lot of hard work goes into keeping those little guys happy and healthy! Best of luck with the breeding project, it sure sounds like you're doing something right! :)
They're gorgeous little dudes.

Taiga

3 Year Member
Incredible color on the last hatchling. That orange-red is stunning! I hope they keep that color, because I know from breeding cresties, red is a hard color to keep, most of the time it fades away and they end up as a yellow adult!

Geckomaster743

Wow they look nice! Julie make sure to get on more, Your posts are known to be interesting because not many of us have
Uroplatus Sikorae Sikorae! Keep us Updated with More Photos :D

Gopherhockey03

Is there a reliable breeder to get these from (maybe you when you get some babies) all the ones I have found are WC.

jfreemo75

3 Year Member
Is there a reliable breeder to get these from (maybe you when you get some babies) all the ones I have found are WC.
Personally, I know a couple breeders besides myself. One here in Illinois, and another in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, I have had to sell my whole collection of geckos :(, so I no longer have any. If you are seriously intersted, I can give you a name of the breeder we gave ours to.

jfreemo75

3 Year Member
Awwwww!!!! Why did you give them away! And yes Please I'd like a name!
They require a bit more care than a leo or crested, and I didn't want to neglect them in any way. They are really cool geckos to have, but tricky to breed. Or at least to get the eggs to hatch.
This is who has mine...Kyle Salzmann, his website is gekkonidazed.com. He's a great guy and knows his stuff. ;)
Another who I am also familiar with is Barb Gebert, her website is creepyexotics.com. She is mostly into cresteds, but does some work with the sikorae.

Patrick1

Those are awesome! Do you have any that you're letting go of? It's been a while since all this posting, so maybe you've had more babies???

jfreemo75

3 Year Member
Those are awesome! Do you have any that you're letting go of? It's been a while since all this posting, so maybe you've had more babies???

Unfortunately, I am no longer breeding geckos. We sadly had to find new homes for all of ours, even the sikorae. :(
If you are truly interested in this breed, check out gekkonidazed.com. My friends, Kyle and Krystal, breed these plus many other species. They actually have all of my babies now.:)

Patrick1

That sucks! Sorry to hear that! It's not that big of deal really. I just thought I would enjoy some nice CB babies vs. the WC Sikorae that I just sold to fund my trio of Ebenaui. I really like the smaller species better...however, if I could find a good deal on some nice CB animals, I would probably take them. Thanks for responding. Patrick

Geckomaster743

Unfortunately, I am no longer breeding geckos. We sadly had to find new homes for all of ours, even the sikorae. :(
If you are truly interested in this breed, check out gekkonidazed.com. My friends, Kyle and Krystal, breed these plus many other species. They actually have all of my babies now.:)
Julie you should get on more even if you aren't breeding Geckos. Any pets left?

Visit our friends