Using genetics calc properly.

earthpiggamer

What would be the proper way to plug a reverse stripe APTOR into the genetics calc? ( I know the reverse strip is polygenic and not on the calc) I am plugging in Tremper Albino and Het Eclipse, but i want to make sure im not missing anything. Also how would you plug in Het for Diablo Blanco as I have a Blizzard that is Het for DB. I am thinking of breeding these two next year. Thanks again for all the continued help.

DrCarrotTail

I'm pretty sure you're right that an APTOR is a tremper albino with some polygenic traits. I'm not 100% sure they are always het eclipse but seems likely that most would be. I think a diablo blanco is a tremper albino eclipse blizzard - so your guy would be blizzard and het for eclipse and albino. Good luck with them!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
APTOR's are not eclipse or necessarily het eclipse. The eclipse trait is what makes a gecko a RAPTOR instead of an APTOR. The only non-polygenetic traits of an APTOR is the Tremper albino (the stripe + reverse stripe which leads to the patternless stripe in a true APTOR as well as the tang color are all polygenetic). The blizzard het for DB would be het for tremper albino and eclipse.

Aliza

earthpiggamer

I guess where I am getting confused is due to Leopard wiki stating that APTORs carry 2 recessive genes and reptilecalculator.com's website doesnt have a listing for APTORs. The repitlecalculators site also says under the RAPTOR section that Ron Tremper says the RAPTORs dont carry Murphy's patternless genetics but they do carry the "patternless stripe" gene. If its a polygenic trait why are they stating that its a gene, and wouldnt this also be carried by the APTORs?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The term "patternless" is misleading. There's MUrphy's patternless, which is the gecko morph where they're born with faint beige markings which fade with time (this is recessive) and then there's the "patternless stripe" which is the result of stripe and reverse stripe "cancelling out" for a patternless look. This is considered polygenetic, since it has to do with stripes. I was also a bit surprised not to find APTOR in the calculator. I figure that's because the only genetic feature in the APTOR is the albino, while the RAPTOR has both albino and eclipse. As to why the reptile calculator talks about the "patternless stripe gene" I would guess that could be for 1 of 2 reasons:

a. Something that's polygenetic I guess is a gene, just not one that's simple recessive/dominant
b. Ron Tremper has been known to occasionally be less than precise about his genetic pronouncements. I'll leave it at that.

I hope this is helpful.

Aliza

Phoenix1115

This topic has always confused me too but I'm a genetics major (less than a year away from being a cytogenetic technologist!) so I can clear up the "polygenic" confusion.

The term polygenic refers to a trait that relies on multiple genes, hence the "poly" prefix.
This is different from simple recessives/dominants in that those traits only rely on one gene.

So as an example; (I will use the specific morph/trait names instead of the combo names to avoid confusion)
-"Bob" the leo is a Tangerine Snow Tremper. That means he has TWO Tremper genes, ONE Snow gene, and a compilation of genes that create an orange tint.
-"Nancy" the leo is a Wild Type. She carries no special genes.
-Nancy and Bob are expecting their first clutch of babies.
-Recessive: Since Bob carries TWO Tremper genes, he WILL pass one down to his babies. But since Nancy does not have this gene, the babies will not be visually albino, but instead, heterozygous.
-Dominant: Since Bob carries ONE Snow gene, he will pass the gene to 50% of his offspring, and the Wild Type gene to the other 50%. If he was a super snow, he would pass ONE Snow gene to every offspring, and they all would be Snows.
-Polygenic: Since the Tangerine trait relies on multiple genes, there can be varying degrees of orange pigment in Bob's babies. He will pass down some of the Tang poly. genes, but most likely not all of them. This is why you see that Tang x Tang pairings generally come out with a higher dose of orange pigment than Tang x Wild Type pairings.

I hope this helped!

Visit our friends