UVB and supplements for leopard gecko?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I recommend checking out Arcadia lighting (https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/guide/), since they appear to have thought a lot about lighting for both basking and nocturnal reptiles. If you have questions, they can answer. I do change my T8 florescent lights for my diurnal reptiles every 6 months. I have heard the the T5 lights may only need to be changed every 12 months.

Aliza

Eeviethegecko

I’ve been looking into that, it’s a bit hard for me to get, but I did find one online store I can get it from. Thank you!

Eeviethegecko

I also have a question about how far the UVB light should be from the gecko, I decided to get the 18” tall tank instead, because the UV index would he too high in the 12” one. It has a mesh cover, is there any way to hang it inside the tank? I don’t want to build the basking area up too high, so how should I do that? I believe I’ll be getting the Prot5 7% shade dweller UVB light from Arcadia.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Not a clue, since I don't use cage lights for my leopard geckos. I bet Arcadia could give you the answer.

Aliza

TexAg91

Just make sure that your gecko, under the UVB bulb can't get any closer than 12-13 inches from the bulb. I wouldn't leave the decision up to the gecko.
If you really want to have an elevated basking spot under the UVB, then similarly elevate the bulb so that it still can't get closer than 12".

Eeviethegecko

Just make sure that your gecko, under the UVB bulb can't get any closer than 12-13 inches from the bulb. I wouldn't leave the decision up to the gecko.
If you really want to have an elevated basking spot under the UVB, then similarly elevate the bulb so that it still can't get closer than 12".
Thank you

Eeviethegecko

Do any of you use a deep heat projector with UVB light? I was thinking about using it in the my gecko's larger tank, I am installing the UVB 11-12 inches away from the basking area (over a mesh lid) should I get the 50 or 80w and how should I make it to the preferable temp at the basking point? Also, do you know of any dimming thermostats found in the U.S? I am having trouble finding one.
thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "dimming thermostat". Maybe you mean proportional thermostat, which allows the heat element to let varying amounts of power through instead of the cheaper on/off method. If so, google "proportional thermostat reptile" and you'll find something.

Aliza

Eeviethegecko

Hi, so I’m getting a baby leopard gecko in a few months and I was wondering if I need a UVB light and if it is safe to use with my supplements/which one to use. The tank I’m using to begin with is a 10 gallon aquarium ( upgrading to a larger vivarium when it gets bigger)
The supplements I’m using are, Repashy Calcium plus, Repti-Calcium without D3 and Flukers cricket diet for bugs to crawl around in ( I will also dust them w/ other supplements)
Thanks!
Quick question about supplements-sorry
So if I were to use EarthPro A and CalciumPro mg by Arcadia with Repashy SuperCalMeD would that be ok? If so, what would the dusting schedule be? This is just for a few months until I move my leopard gecko into his forever tank with UVB, then should I continue supplementing with the EarthProA and CalciumPro mg only, or should I do an occasional dusting of the one lower in D3 than the SuperCalMeD, the SuperCalLoD, I believe. Once Revitalise D3 by Arcadia becomes available in the US, I plan to use that as an occasional boost.
Thanks!

Last edited:

TexAg91

With my baby leo in a faunarium with, admittedly, crap for lighting (just a 10-level small ring LED for general lighting and a Exo-Terra "moon" 50w heat bulb plus whatever come from an overhead light and outside light), I am currently gut-loading my feeders and also dusting with Repashy Calcium Plus. Every feeding. Once in the permanent enclosure I will have an Arcadia DHP, a ExoTerra UVB100 26w CFL and a full-spectrum CFL. At that time, I might start cutting back on the supplemental D3 if it takes to basking in the UVB, or at least being in it while its on. The UVB will initially be on a simple on-off timer (not ideal) during dusk and dawn, the general light will be on another timer to match day-time between dusk and dawn. I'm not fully sure about the DHP. I *think* I will have it on all the time to generate the hot side since I will be using bio substrate and an undertank heat mat won't work well with that.
I this helps some. Again, this is what I plan to do, and I may very well discover that it isn't working. Its a bit of a relatively informed educated guess.

Eeviethegecko

So would those supplements sound good? I am just making sure, because I know they are made to go with their same brand. I will probably dust with the Repashy SuperCalMeD every 6 feedings? And the Earth pro A almost every feeding, calciumpro mg every 4 or so? Thank you for all of your help!:)

TexAg91

It's probably not a bad idea to stick with a single vendor since they (should!) know what all is in their supplements and can answer questions more easily than throwing in, "Also, I am using another company's XYZ product. Can you tell me how that interacts with your ABC product, I'm using with it?"
For me, being totally new to any reptile husbandry before my current leo, and because I did not have initial "best lighting practices" in place, I chose to go with a single supplement containing vitamins, calcium and D3. And a second supplement for my feeders.
Once it's established in its larger enclosure, I'll take some time to see if it is advantageous to be a bit more granular in supplementation, instead of an all-in-one approach.
If you have the time and desire to use multiple supplement arrangements initially, I say "Go for it!" It will take some juggling and attention to detail, but will likely provide superior results.
Best of luck, and be sure to let us know when you get your little "bundle of joy"!

Eeviethegecko

Oops, I meant him or her. Most of my animals are boys so naturally I say “him”. I think it’s only going to be 2 or 3 months old.

Last edited:

Visit our friends