UVB lights

Blacksupra94

Why do people say it's ok to not have a uvb light in a Leo cage? The exotic vet here told me that it's a misconception and dangerous not to have one becuase the leo's can have trouble digesting food absorbing the calcium which leads to them not eating. I know it's said its not necessary because they are nocturnal but i'm sure in the wild their diet is better and they get uv somehow. Anyways what is a good uvb bulb to use, the vet said a uvb 5.0 but I got a 7 and 10 because my tank is about 18" tall. What uvbs does everybody else use?

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Nothing they DO NOT need uvb light, Ive never used it and all of my leos are fine, i dont think anyone uses it, jeesh most of our racks would be absolutely screwed!
They need belly heat to digest food and the d3 in the calcium you should dust the feeders with once a week aids them to digest calcium.
So you don't need a uvb light your only wasting your money.

Blacksupra94

They are FINE but have you done research proving that they don't need it?How do you know they are up to their potential? If it is a waste of money it's only $22 so i'd rather be safe then sorry. Both exotic vets also told me that they do benefit from them

Srt14292

Est; 1992
They may benifit from them, however if they are nocturnal animals, generally they are not exposed to UV light during the day as they will live in crevices out of the sun.
So how would it help.
If you want to have the bulb go ahead it has damaged some leos before being exposed to way too much uv light. As they are nocturnal there would be no sence in having it.

As long as feed is dusted with d3 once a week they will absorb the calcium, remember they can not overdose on calcium but they can on vitamins like d3.
So they will intake however much they need of the calcium.
~

There will be no real benifit of having a uv light in the tubs.
Look at members rack systems, we would all be truely screwed if they did well with uv light because every tub would have to have one.
Aslong as they have adequate belly heat from a uth hooked up to a stat they will be more then fine without a uv bulb.

prettyprincess3690

The D3 dusted on food helps them absorb the calcium, and belly heat helps them digest their food, which makes the use of a UV bulb unnecessary.

For me personally, I wouldn't want to damage my albino's eyes, because UVB light has a tendency to cause damage in the eyes of albinos. Plus, my geckos usually hide during the day anyways, so a UVB bulb wouldn't really do much good.

It's up to you though, but you'll find that the vast majority of experienced breeders/owners on this site will definitely recommend the use of a UTI with the combo of D3 for absorption over the use of a UVB bulb.

LizMarie

The D3 dusted on food helps them absorb the calcium, and belly heat helps them digest their food, which makes the use of a UV bulb unnecessary.

1+

That is why we dust feeders to provide them with everything they need. I'm not saying the in the wild they might not come across the sun but I doubt they sit out there like iguanas, beardies, etc. soaking it up because their bodies can't function with out it. I can tell you right now that a majority of the Leo community does not use UVB/A lights and all of our geckos for the most part are healthy.

If you want to it's up to you honestly but some members have experience negative effects from exposure to UVB/A about them becoming lethargic, etc. if you search the forums you'll probably find a few of the post.

While I love Vets, just because they have a DVM behind their names doesn't make them experts on ALL animals. Even those that are meant to treat exotics do not know everything about reptiles, etc. and go by whatever literature they've read or what they've heard. You have to be able to take the vets opinion with those of experienced keepers and make your own conclusions.

:)

GeckoGal

GeckoGal
some members have experience negative effects from exposure to UVB/A about them becoming lethargic, etc.

I got an e-mail from a person who couldn't figue out why there gecko wasn't eating and loosing weight, long story short they removed the UVB light and within a weak the gecko started ganing weight fast. IMO it does more harm than it does good.

Riyo

Pet Human
Also take into consideration how thin their skin is. They do not have the thick skin (and scales) that diurnal lizards have. Most of the D3 is obtained through food as everyone else has said. In the wild they are probably exposed to a low level of UV (I'm pretty sure they come out in the evening) but the amount and time of exposure is most likely not very long.

Just my .02. I've also heard and (witnessed myself from my n00b days) that UV light can make leos lethargic..

Blacksupra94

Ok thanks for the responses. I've been keeping her for the past year just like everybody else on here has cause I believed the uvb was un necessary too. Since the cage is pretty large and the bulb is only 6" long, I will put it on one side that she normally doesnt go on

Visit our friends