vary skittish leopard gecko.

tgolden

I'm needing help taming one of my leopard geckos. I searched this and oddly nothing is coming up so thought i would just post a thread. My gecko Anubis is real, real bad skidish. I've had him for about 3 months now and there is not much improvement. Whenever i open up his viv to pull him out he dives in the closest hide he can find, when i do go to pick him up its a chase. When i get him he is pretty wild and i have to keep him hand around him or he'll take a suicide dive off my hands. I've tried just putting my hand to see if he'll come on his own, put a shirt with my sent on it in his viv nothing is working. i've gotten another leo since and it's already coming up to my hand and climbing on and i've only had him/her a few weeks.
I'm not sure how old Anubis is so here is a pic so ya'll can see him. any suggestions?
photobucket-14973-1350864183101.jpg

photobucket-13546-1350864184014.jpg

Caleb C

They often get scared because you're moving too fast. I wait until mine comes out, then I slowly put my hand in the tank, and slowly move it towards the gecko. I make sure that it sees my hands first, then I lightly touch it's chin, it will probably lick you and pick up your scent. Try not to grab it at all if it's not familiar with you, it will just stress it out even more, it might result in a tail drop. Some of them don't tolerate handling too well, so it might just be a grumpy individual.

Commotiion

I just got my leo recently, he behaves the exact same way, but when I do pick him up, he doesn't like staying in my hands, he'll jump over to my shirt and climb up to my shoulder. He likes to sit next to my hair, idk if its just cuz its long, but im always worried about him jumping off.

tgolden

Yeah not sure what i'm gonna do with this little. I bought him for my son buy if he can't handle him I may have to get him a different one

Eve Saint

I have a problem with cold hands and I make sure my hands are nice and warm before I pick mine up. Are your hands cold? Also I frequently go by the tank different times during the day and say hello to them, and let them get used to me. My newest addition Cristal was super skittish, since she came from a petstore and all, but I guess all of the waving and talking to her throughout the day while she was in the tank got her used to me.

Eve Saint

Also are other people coming over to your place and handling him when you are not there? I have guests handle them and it is fine, but first I go through the basic steps with them about how to handle my Leos and to always wash their hands after. I let my friends know not to grab by the tail.

tgolden

No i'm pretty much the only one who handles him. He is to wild for my girl friend and kids. They will my other lizards but not Anubis.

Caleb C

Judging by his bulky size, it's not because he's too small, he might just not like people handling him. He looks really healthy though, be a shame if you had to return him.
African fat tails generally look like leo's, but their morphs are completely different.
African fat tails aren't very popular, as they tend to be picky, and lots of times will never touch a mealworm.

tgolden

Yeah he's real healthy. I really don't want to get rid of him but I don't have the room for another reptile tank either.

tgolden

Thinking bout building a rack for just 2 20 gals. I mentioned selling him and all the sudden everyone in my house turned on me lol so guess i'm stuck with the little guy. Been working with him everyday and no improvement. I think he just don't like to be handled

tgolden

Just got done handling him for bout 10 minutes.he did ok after I got him out. That was after having too chase him around his viv to catch him. He wont climb up on my hand in his tank but if I put him in a little plastic tub he'll climb up on me. Strange little reptile lol

tgolden

Yeah more then likely. My 8 is wants one he can keep in his room and take care of. He is scared of my bearded dragon lol so he won't handle him much. My other Leo does not mind being handled but its small and gets away from him easily. So i'm thinking Maybe a adult may be the way to go. What do you think?

Visit our friends