Veiled or Panther?

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
No chameleon is good for handeling, they are display animals, some may tolerate handeling a little but it stresses them out really really bad and is not advised.

A veiled is easier to care for with a logner life span and cheaper, a panther has a lesser life span (and cost more) but neither should be handeled for anything other than cage cleaning. Female panthers are pretty plain looking liek the female veileds. If you want a pretty cham get a male.

Veileds have been reported to live up to 8+ to 10 years with Panthers being closer to 5+ max

Stitch

Chameleons over all don't live that long, I believe the average is 4-5 years but I have heard of one living up to 9 years old. Not to mention but chameleons are a pet that should be seen and not touched. How much handling a chameleon will tolerate is up to the individual. I noticed that my Jacksons dealt with handling better then my Veileds, but I have talked to many other people that say their Veileds tolerate handling very well.

Between the two species you are looking at a huge price difference. I haven't seen a baby (2-3 months old) Panther sell for anything less then $200 and that depends on what type of Panther. You can get a baby Veiled at a reptile show for $35.

I have had Jacksons and Veileds. But going off of your options and seemingly no experience with chameleons (no offense), go with a Veiled. Veileds are very hardy and can withstand a wide array of temps and humidity levels.

Jackson
f578d3eb.jpg

Veiled
f1885884.jpg

Stitch

Leopardbreeder said:
I am thinking about getting a champy. I don't know, maybe next show!

Do you know which species you want? Have you researched it and know all of it's requirments?

Chameleons are not for beginners, even experienced herpers have trouble keeping them.

G

Gecko

Are you guys sure about the lifespan stuff? I thought Veilds were typically in the 5 year average while Panthers could make it near 15-20 years. Or am I mixed up.

Stitch

I personally have never heard of a chameleon living past 9 years old. But the average is around 3-5 years. This coming from numerous books and online "sources" (we all know how accurate they can be :main_rolleyes: ).

L

LadyGecko

Brian-I just wanted to say that those are some awesome pics

:main_thumbsup:

Stitch

LadyGecko said:
Brian-I just wanted to say that those are some awesome pics

:main_thumbsup:

Thanks, I took them by myself (I miss my Jackson). I want to get a Panther next, but since I'm breeding the geckos right now I don't have the time to take care of a chameleon. So the Panther is going to have to wait.

Jenna4Herps

In the wild, the estimated average for a panther chameleon is around 2 years (or so they say) due to predators, parasites, etc. In captivity, male panther chameleons live on average 5-7 years (as long as their environments and care are properly given) and I know one person who had a male panther live 11 years. However, 11 years is very rare. Female panthers don't live as long due to their egg laying - female panthers will lay eggs whether they are bred or not. Their egg laying demands puts more stress on their bodies than males, thus their life spans are lower.

Visit our friends