very light baby

thom_fish

so i had a baby last week, well one hatched i should say, and i noted when it hatched it was very light for a baby.

now a week later it is still very light...it looks like it is about to shed it skin (you know how they get paler) but i am pretty sure it isnt about to shed its skin. Not only is it very red for a baby but it has an even whiteness over its body (ie. like it is about to shed).

so i will try get a picture soon...after looking at the albino pics i am sure it isnt that but i was wondering whether anyone else had experienced anything similar?

thom

thom_fish

here are some pictures for you guys to maybe help me diagnose.

now the last one is a bit dark sorry but i wanted to get it without flash to see its true colours.

So as you can see it kinda looks like it is about to slough but it isnt. its colouration is quite light for a levis levis hatchling and especially light compared to the hatchlings in the previous clutches.

As for being a het albino...well i am not sure what that is :eek: . But what do you guys think...is it worth holding on to? i cant imagine i will sell the little guy/girl

PS. i have aptly named this hatchling Ghost :main_thumbsup:

thanks

thom

thom_fish

also i forgot to mention...

please note that Ghost's eyes are NOT red thus my doubt in him being albino...

BalloonzForU

WOW!!! Ghost is awesome!!!

Is there a darker pigment near the base of his tail?

Has there been an albino that doesn't express in the eyes and only the body, in reptiles?

brandy101010

I don't know much about these lizards other then that they are extreamly cute! But is it possible it is a Leucistic?

Zbiz

T.A.I.L. REPTILES
wooh kinda looks like baby blizzard leos when they hatch, all pink and see through hm....

thom_fish

BalloonzForU said:
WOW!!! Ghost is awesome!!!

Is there a darker pigment near the base of his tail?

Has there been an albino that doesn't express in the eyes and only the body, in reptiles?

there is indeed a slight darkness near the base of his tail and as you can see around his eyes it is a bit darker.

i dont know anything about albinos but i have emailed the breeder i bought him off to see if there is anything like this in his ancestory.

thanks for the comments

bittner_344

www.theurbanreptile.com
hey guys, i have seen albino levis, that one doesnt look like them. but he is extremley light for he age, very very nice.

thom_fish

yah i dont think he is albino. but i dont understand why he is so light? he is even lighter than adult levis levis

thom_fish

Well, I have consulted with a herpatologist from Taronga Zoo here in Sydney about helping classify this baby and he has replied saying that this baby appears to have reduced melanin showing less melanin than is typical to this species (levis levis) and I would class it as hypomelanistic. So for anyone out there who breeds these babies this is something to look out for. This isnt definately genetic BUT I did in fact have a hatchling today who is displaying the same lightness as Ghost! So it may well be genetic and all going well I will be able to selectively breed an uncommon line of knob-tail :D

thom_fish

i will certainly get more pics when i can...for now they are a bit afraid of me, esp. Ghost. He hisses and flares up whenever i try feed them :( he will get used to me soon i hope. And when he does i will get more pics

Visit our friends