Very Strange Behaviour?

LeoGirl575

Hey guys. My fat tail gecko has been acting strange for the longest time. She used to eat crickets, mealies, supers, and waxies with no problem, but now, whenever I put any kind of worm in front of her, she opens her mouth like a yawn and leaves it. She only eats crix now, and even then, she's inconsistent with feeding. I brought her to the vet (not a herp only vet but they were really good with her and knew what they were talking about) two weeks ago, and they gave me some dewormer meds to try , since she was also losing weight. Even though it has only been one treatment, she's not showing any improvement. They said they'll see her again for a blood test if the meds don't help.

But for now, I have a question..
Do anyone elses' fat tails behave this way around worms?? Open their mouth like a yawn, and then leave it as it walks by??

I'm stumped.. :/

thanks in advance!

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
how old is she and have you checked her for ovulation? i haven't had the issue with the "yawning" but i have had a couple of female go off feed and lose some weight while ovulating. once they were gravid though they began eating again just fine.

LeoGirl575

Well, I was doing some research last night, and I found someone who had basically the same problem as me.. The only advice they got was that their fat tail had some "wobbly jaw" disorder, and it was because it wasn't getting enough calcium. However, my girl gets loads and loads of calcium (but obviously not an overdose) I only lightened up on the calcium because her urates have always been a strange colour, and I thought the calci was the reason why. (I still gave her Calci though, just not as much as before)

She's been doing this for about 2 months now, and has lost lots of weight - about 10 grams. The vet also gave me supplement to give her when she doesn't eat, but so far nothing's going too well. :/

Thanks

LeoGirl575

Have your fatties lost weight when they did this yawning thing? And did they only do it towards certain insects (ie. Worms) but still ate others (ie. Crickets)?

Visit our friends