Wax Worm Trouble

Geckomaster743

Sadly i have made the Mistake of Over feeding Athena. She has not had much fat in her tail and she has always been so slow so i got some Waxs to change that. As soon as i gave them to her she begun behaving like a normal gecko, Energetic, Active and not so slow and a Fast eater. Now she won't get off the Wax worms because she's rather too intelligent. Ive tried putting the Wax worm there and as she bites switching it really fast, Ive tried starving her out for a Day ( She ate 1 Meal worm ), Ive tried 1 Meal 1 Wax but no real progress. The only Soultion that seemed to work was to starve her out and offer meal worms... Any advice on how to speed this up ( I do Not want to Squash wax worm guts all over a Meal worm thats sick :eek:

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I have no suggestions. Sorry. I have one female who won't eat anything but crickets. Period. I've never been able to change her. I've tried wax worms, super worms, mealworms and dubia roaches. She tries them once, then just turns up her nose. Oh, and she prefers to be fed by hand (prima donna....):rolleyes:

Geckomaster743

She really is! The old man I bought her from said he hand feeds all his lizards. Now that is dedication!
Wow, I don't know how to hand feed my Lizards. Artimis is the only one who Bites me because she can't recognize my Skin Color she's not used to it but Athena and the hatchlings won't eat out of my Hand even if they see a worm moving around in it.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Actually, I use tongs mostly (think giant tweezers). I use them mostly for superworms, so I can make sure everyone gets their fair share. Crickets I just toss in, and I have a special bowl for mealworms and small dubias that has high enough sides so they don't crawl out. Larger dubias I do by hand as well.

Say have you tried putting only one or two waxs in a bowl with some mealworms? Maybe that way Athena will eat both.

Visit our friends