Well, I can't look at the empty terrarium...

P

plecoperson

We really enjoyed our little stowaway, so we are researching a new occupant for Bob's former abode. It's a 12" x 12" x 18" high Exo-Terra. So whoever moves in has to be tiny.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate occupant? We will do our very best not to kill it. I don't have much reptile experience, but I'm very good at researching and following directions.

marula

how much you have available? (this is a really important factor to know ;) )
arboreal:
uroplatus...phelsuma...1 cat gecko...
terrestrial:
pictus...steno...

i really suggest a cople of uroplatus (ebenaui or sathanic) if you have some experience in keeping delicate geckos ;)
i love cat geckos too...and phelsuma are really nike to looking during day in the tank and simple to take care (and not really expences)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have one crested gecko in my 12x12x18 and a phelsuma klemmeri in a 12x12x12. The crestie is the only one who can be handled and he's very comfortable there.

Aliza

ReptileMan27

You could go with a crested gecko, other choices that arent for handling would be a golden gecko,skunk gecko(white lined,palm gecko), flying gecko, couple of house geckos, or for something thats not a gecko, you could get a couple of green anoles. None of the species I listed above are expensive, the crested would be the most money out of that list and a regular is usaully only $40-50.

moosassah

Looking way down the road (like 2008) but,

Is the tank size (12x12x18 exoterra) appropriate for 2 cresteds or only 1?
Is it still appropriate once they are full grown?

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
At times yes, I got my little one for 70 though, and it was origionally 125. Just depends on the breeder, your luck, and who you know ;).

P

plecoperson

My ears are ringing a little from all the online research for the suggested victims...I mean occupants. Anyone checking my internet trail at work would be surprised, I think.

Hmm...bank balance = pretty low. Still crunching numbers....

P

plecoperson

So, now...still planning.

There's the Lake County (IL) reptile swap coming up in April. Does anyone here attend? What do you all think of this as a source vs finding a breeder online?

P

plecoperson

Thanks, Jeremy-what a nice offer. I'd love to hear yer suggestions/preferences if you have any.

I'll be discussing w/husband tonight, with these criteria:

1. Small enough to be content in the current housing.
2. Appropriate for someone with little experience.
2. Acquirable from a reputable source.

:)

P

plecoperson

I considered diet, cost, and general appealing-to-me-ness from the suggested species.

The short list, and please be bold in saying they might not be a good fit for our enclosure or because of their difficulty level.

Cat gecko A. felinus
Crested gecko R. ciliatus
Gargoyle gecko R. auriculatus
Fan footed gecko P. hasselquistii
and Pareodura androyensis
I heart uroplatus-what's not to like-but think they might be beyond my reach care-wise and cost-wise.

I think there's quite a range of prices here, from $15 for a fan-footed to maybe $100 at the top. We have plenty of small crickets, fruit flies and mealworms. Gut-loader, calcium powder and Repti-Vite. I realize that the crested and gargoyle would also require delicious crested gecko diet and fruit. We are willing and able to provide whatever else a particular gecko would need to do well in our enclosure, of course.

Feedback would be very much appreciated--thank you all for your help, both with our previous little guy and in our search for a new gecko.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
You should be able to find a nice young crested or maybe a garg for less than 100 dollars. I am unsure of the average price for cat geckos. But back to the rhacs, I would definately say they are your best bet. Easy care, mellow, many flavors. Good luck hope you find something nice!

P

plecoperson

My husband is most into those two as well. We don't necessarily need to be able to handle him/her, but mellow is good in a house with 13 cats, escape-wise. That's what ruled out the day geckos.

Thanks, Derek!

P

plecoperson

...have NO clue what my basis is lol....

Because they are extremely cute and cool, and you really want one yourself. I think that's the basis! :)

Jeremy has been kind enough to point us in the right direction at the Grayslake show, and we'll be there with bells on, either for a crested or a gargoyle. Wheee!

Thanks again, all--

Visit our friends