What Age/Weight Do You Sell Your Hatchlings?

cowana

I saw a post on Craigslist for a hatchling Leo for sale. It was hatched pretty recently and weighs only 4g. I am strongly considering picking it up, if still available, because I don't think it will survive in the hands of the general public at such a young age and small size.

I was always under the impression that at the very minimum a Leo should be 4weeks and 10g before being sold, but it is better to be 6-8 weeks and 15g minimum. Am I wrong? What do you more experienced breeders sell your babies at weight and size-wise? (Edit: To be sold locally)

Amy

Last edited by a moderator:

geckolabs

If selling locally, a minimum of 15g for me. If shipping, I won't ship under 20g. But that is just my preference.

stager

Usually about 15 grams but I only sell at shows, I don't ship. But most wait till 20 grams to ship.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I generally sell at 15 grams and wouldn't ship below that. I have sold some slightly smaller ones (10-12 grams) who were doing really well and eating like pigs.
Last week in my local craigslist someone was selling hatchlings that were 2-3 days old and was saying they'd be ready to go at a week old. I sent them a message suggesting they wait until 15 grams and was told that "all the leos in my house are healthy and eating well". Can't do any more with that. I just hope someone gets them and takes care of them. They either sold very quickly, the post got flagged, or the poster thought more about it because the ad was gone the next day.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've been selling my geckos for 10 years with relatively little shipping and don't think I shipped until at least year 5.

Aliza

cowana

That's reassuring to hear. I have 2 big expos that are within an hour of me every month, so those will be my main venues. There are a few more that are within 2 hours of me I may attend every couple months once I have enough geckos to make it worthwhile. That way I can get my name out there a bit more.

Not sure how many babies I will get this season with only 2 breeding females. I just had my 7th & 8th eggs laid today, so I figure it will be late fall/early winter before I have enough geckos for sale to make an expo worth vending at. [emoji4]

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
If I knew another local breeder, I might let one go at 10 grams, but it would be a really rare thing. For the most part, I won't sell until 15+ grams. I try to ship around 20 grams, but I think I've shipped around 17-18 grams before. When I can, I prefer to wait until 20 grams.

Visit our friends