What are ETHICS?

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I'd like to open a discussion about what ethics are. What does the word 'ethical' mean to you? What is un-ethical? Does an individual's 'ethical' or 'unethical' behavior in their personal life have anything to do with their ethics in their professional life? Vice-versa?

I'll start by giving my belief of what 'ethics' are, which are quoted from the University of Santa Clara's article developed by Manuel Velasquez, Claire Andre, Thomas Shanks, S.J., and Michael J. Meyer (page links below):
Ethics is two things. First, ethics refers to well based standards of right and wrong that prescribe what humans ought to do, usually in terms of rights, obligations, benefits to society, fairness, or specific virtues. Ethics, for example, refers to those standards that impose the reasonable obligations to refrain from rape, stealing, murder, assault, slander, and fraud. Ethical standards also include those that enjoin virtues of honesty, compassion, and loyalty. And, ethical standards include standards relating to rights, such as the right to life, the right to freedom from injury, and the right to privacy. Such standards are adequate standards of ethics because they are supported by consistent and well founded reasons.

Secondly, ethics refers to the study and development of one's ethical standards. As mentioned above, feelings, laws, and social norms can deviate from what is ethical. So it is necessary to constantly examine one's standards to ensure that they are reasonable and well-founded. Ethics also means, then, the continuous effort of studying our own moral beliefs and our moral conduct, and striving to ensure that we, and the institutions we help to shape, live up to standards that are reasonable and solidly-based.

This article appeared originally in Issues in Ethics IIE V1 N1 (Fall 1987)
http://www.scu.edu/ethics/practicing/decision/whatisethics.html

eric

OREGON GECKO
Wasn't I supposed to call a certain someone for an ethics lesson! LOL! ya anyway!

I personally believe it takes on different forms from breeder to breeder. And it takes on different meanings, Why maybe it does have something to do with the individuals personal life. I honestly know that we wouldn't be talking about this subject if it weren't for a few individual breeders that are single handedly destroying the market! Does this classify as an ethics issue, you bet your ass it does! Mass production of a product that is being sold for way below last years price, in a flooded market only results in questions of ethics! Its obvious they don't care and its just business! Business that is killing a certain morph. And some of those breeders want to speak with me about Ethics! You've got to be kidding me.

On a personal note, I do believe that ethics are a personal issue how you raise and take care of your animals may have little effect on all of us as a community, but ethics such as bargain basement selling (high end morphs priced lower than certain chain stores), affects us all.

leonut

I believe that "ethics" are diferent from person to person.

Good ethics too me all come down to one thing; Put the needs of the animals before the need to make money. I do not belive it is shameful to want to make money from breeding and selling geckos or any animals for that matter, but when the want to make money outweighs the love and care of the animals I belive that is unethical.

Btw, some pretty deep stuff there Marcia. I like it when threads like this come up. :main_thumbsup:

P

PacHerp

Give me a few days and I'll write my essay response to your question, Marcia. ;)

Ian S.

How deep we'ld like to go into rudimentaries can go on forever. I find it to be the same as an opinion with more of an advanced situational awareness and regaurd for the well being of others.

Last edited:

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Btw, some pretty deep stuff there Marcia. I like it when threads like this come up. :main_thumbsup:
Thanks! Sometimes I get in these philosophical moods that require a little exercise of the grey matter that extends beyond the typical topics of discussion, yet are pertinent to everything we do.

eric

OREGON GECKO
A little surprised on the number of posters :eek:, I really thought this would be a big post, Lets just hope everyone's busy, doing ethical things! :main_thumbsup:

Ian S.

Thanks! Sometimes I get in these philosophical moods that require a little exercise of the grey matter that extends beyond the typical topics of discussion, yet are pertinent to everything we do.

I though I was a loner in that depot. :D

A little surprised on the number of posters :eek:, I really thought this would be a big post, Lets just hope everyone's busy, doing ethical things! :main_thumbsup:

LOL good call....

Roaming Reptiles

Brandon Fowler
As for me I believe it to be doing whats right no matter what. From raising your kids ( We just found out my wife is pregant!!!! ) to raising your animals.
Always working harder to do the right thing no matter what situation you are in. When I got back into leo's I knew I wanted to breed them and enjoy them as a family and if I am able to sale a few thats fine to but if I dont I am more than willing to take care of them. I have talked to marcia about this and for me I will sale at whatever the market price is. As a new guy doing this the last thing I want to do is undercut anybody else as I wouldnt want that done to me. If they dont sell then they dont and thats fine. Its easier when people work together than against each other. If everyone would think like that the world would be a better place for all. Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the ramble.

Brandon

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
Ethics whether it be personal or business define a person. It's just another term for morals. I find that as i get older my morals are really starting to define themselves. I believe in the "golden rule". Treat others as you would like to be treated. I think that applies to both personal and business ethics/morals.

Also karma is a real...well you know where i'm going with that so people that have bad ethics or morals will get theirs in the end.

tangerineman

LizardThing Geckos
i was going to say personal guidelines for how you conduct yourself in society,

i agree with the golden rule idea, if you treat others the way you want to be treated it will affect the decisions you make

..in business most people would agree this means operating honestly,
unfortunately in some areas of capitalist society there are businesses which function under the premise that 'someone has to lose' in this economy...
(thinks: banks, mortgages)
modern capitalism is a form of 'slavery' of the lower class,
but i'll end this here, those who want to know can find the info...lookup zeigeist addendum for a one-stop history lesson.

interesting post, Marcia...
in this day an age, many people are questioning the fabric of what holds this country together, sometimes things are left out of discussions because they seem so obviously intrinsic.

Because of a lack of morals and ethics, this country is in the state it is right now.

Duane

Visit our friends