what are you using for your moist / humid hide?

sas

Hi everyone!
I'm so excited about getting my first crestie! I'll post the pictures when I do!
the cage is set up but I'm still to put together the humid hide. How did you make yours and what substrate did you use?
Thanx in advance for your help!

ento890

I use tupperware containers for my cresteds. I cut a hole in the top so they can climb in. I fill them with either vermiculite, spag. moss, or cocofiber. You can even combine all of them.

adamsky27

What is the reasoning in cutting the hole in the top? Wouldn't the hide hold the humidity longer with the hole in the side?

ento890

If you cut the hole in the side, in my experience, they will usually make a mess and kick the substrate out. The hole in the top is big enough just to let their body in. I usually only have to spray my lay boxes once a week.

ReptileWorld

I have 2 breeding pairs of cresteds and what i do is in one it has a news paper bottom with a butter tub filled half way with cocofiber mixed with a lil verminculite and spag moss. they will hang in there and lay eggs in there so i remove the rub every 2 weeks and search for eggs. In my other enclosure I have the entire bottom of the tank filled with cocofiber mixed with verminculite and spag moss with a little bit of sand. I mist once to twice a day and it holds humidity very well. I actually found 4 babies in the last few months within the enclosure all good and healthy. :main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends