What is it?

DrCarrotTail

It looks dead whatever it is!

Your picture isn't ideal and so its a bit hard to tell. Where did you find it? Southern US? How big is it? How many legs does it have? That might narrow some options down.

If it has eight legs its probably a spider. I won't be much help in figuring out what kind. Common spiders caught in the wild can be tough to ID the species since there hasn't been much research done on them.

If it has six legs it might be a spiney predaceous grasshopper. They're super cool and not uncommon around central/east TX or other southern states. I caught one once at a resort in San Marcos TX...haha.

Karah

It looks dead whatever it is!

Your picture isn't ideal and so its a bit hard to tell. Where did you find it? Southern US? How big is it? How many legs does it have? That might narrow some options down.

If it has eight legs its probably a spider. I won't be much help in figuring out what kind. Common spiders caught in the wild can be tough to ID the species since there hasn't been much research done on them.

If it has six legs it might be a spiney predaceous grasshopper. They're super cool and not uncommon around central/east TX or other southern states. I caught one once at a resort in San Marcos TX...haha.
I found it on my front porch. In California. It has eight legs.

DrCarrotTail

It's a green spider then! Like I said exact species is hard to come by. Might require a serious knowledge of spiders or the local fauna in your area of CA (its a huge state with multiple biomes).

DrCarrotTail

Actually - you might be in luck! I googled "green CA spider" and one of the first things that came up was the green lynx spider. They have spiney legs and the markings on their abdomen look really similar to those in your picture. That would be my best guess :)

Visit our friends