What light bulb wattage should I use for my leopard gecko tank?

Syllvur

[FONT=&amp]I'm getting a leopard gecko soon and I currently have a 10 gallon tank. The current substrate being used is terrarium liner that comes in those kits. I already have a black incandescent bulb and a digital thermometer, will get another one soon. The white bulb is currently 50 W but the temp is at 93-94 degrees. People have told me that it's too hot and will burn my gecko. I am not using a heat pad as of this moment. What would be a better wattage to use for the gecko tank? (Also sorry if this doesn't belong here, I just joined the site)[/FONT]

Syllvur

The temperature alone without the light is about 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit. I know they need the heating pad to make digestion easier.. What do you guys suggest?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF! Ideally you will get rid of the light, use a heating pad (under tank heater) or heat cable (made by Zoo-med) and maintain a temperature in the low 90's on the floor, not in the air.

Aliza

Syllvur

So the overhead light is not required? Thank you so much! Would you recommend a bulb at night as well? The temp is still at 80 degrees with no lights on.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
They're nocturnal, so they don't really require a light unless they are in a pitch black room with no windows, and then they'd need a light in the daytime so they can keep a 24 hour rhythm. Is the 80 degree temp in the air or on the floor and how are you measuring it?

Aliza

Syllvur

I'm measuring it with a digital thermometer on the floor. With no lights on whatsoever the temp stays around 79 or 80. I'm not entirely sure how to get one side of the tank cooler. The tank is nowhere near the sun so I don't understand how it's still not cool enough

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
So you mean it's 80 on the cool side? What size is the tank? What's the temperature in the air in the room the enclosure is in?

Aliza

DrCarrotTail

I agree with Aliza. No light. Just use a regulated heat pad so the gecko has a spot to warm its belly on. Lights tend to make enclosures too hot and too dry and hurt the leo's eyes - especially if they're albino. I on;y recommend lights if your room temperature will be under 65 degrees.

Visit our friends