What makes a Leopard Gecko?

Sandyballs

What's the difference between Leopard Geckos and a lizard you find in the back yard other than color?

Are their insides different?

ILoveGeckos14

I would have to guess that they are similar internally. The two definitely have some novel differences though because leopard geckos have developed adaptations(physical and behavioral) over time to deal with life and conditions in the desert. Differences in habitat have a lot to do with how an animal looks and behaves. Common lizards do not hide out in dark dens during the peak hours of the day and for this reason have not developed the need for skin tubercles(the bumps) for heightened sensory proprioception (where the body is in space). Just an example of how different habitats will bring about different adaptations and animal morphology.

You could look into books on Comparative Anatomy of the order Squamata (snakes and lizards) or more broadly,Vertebrates and it would answer your question a lot better than I did! :main_laugh: Your question makes me think you would enjoy taking Comparative Anatomy and Animal Behavior and Physiology in college, good question! :main_thumbsup:

Last edited:

prettyprincess3690

would have to guess that they are similar internally. The two definitely have some novel differences though because leopard geckos have developed adaptations(physical and behavioral) over time to deal with life and conditions in the desert. Differences in habitat have a lot to do with how an animal looks and behaves. Common lizards do not hide out in dark dens during the peak hours of the day and for this reason have not developed the need for skin tubercles(the bumps) for heightened sensory proprioception (where the body is in space). Just an example of how different habitats will bring about different adaptations and animal morphology.

You could look into books on Comparative Anatomy of the order Squamata (snakes and lizards) or more broadly,Vertebrates and it would answer your question a lot better than I did! Your question makes me think you would enjoy taking Comparative Anatomy and Animal Behavior and Physiology in college, good question!

+1:)

Sandyballs

I would have to guess that they are similar internally. The two definitely have some novel differences though because leopard geckos have developed adaptations(physical and behavioral) over time to deal with life and conditions in the desert. Differences in habitat have a lot to do with how an animal looks and behaves. Common lizards do not hide out in dark dens during the peak hours of the day and for this reason have not developed the need for skin tubercles(the bumps) for heightened sensory proprioception (where the body is in space). Just an example of how different habitats will bring about different adaptations and animal morphology.

You could look into books on Comparative Anatomy of the order Squamata (snakes and lizards) or more broadly,Vertebrates and it would answer your question a lot better than I did! :main_laugh: Your question makes me think you would enjoy taking Comparative Anatomy and Animal Behavior and Physiology in college, good question! :main_thumbsup:

Haha most people don'tthink it was a good question:main_rolleyes:

suz830

Everyone who knows I have a gecko always says why would spend money on one... I can catch you some from the backyard...

It is just not the same...

It's not a bad question, I mean obviously they are different species, but only someone who has done research would know all the different characteristics that make each unique.

Sandyballs

Everyone who knows I have a gecko always says why would spend money on one... I can catch you some from the backyard...

It is just not the same...

It's not a bad question, I mean obviously they are different species, but only someone who has done research would know all the different characteristics that make each unique.

haha yeah that's how my family is too.....they say that geckos don't have personalities:main_angry:.....they dont know:D

Visit our friends