what to do after hatching??

reptiles1

mitch's marvelous geckos
i just hatched my first leopard gecko! i read to leave them alone until their first shed so i did. what do i do now? do they eat now or do i wait longer? if you could tell me everything i should do now for the next few weeks that would be awesome!:)

jbs81890

Put it in it's container with moist paper towels and a little water dish and wait until it's first shed which should be in the 4-7 day area then offer food after first shed.

Wbrown5496

Congrats! Assuming you've got their housing down, the next thing I do is keep them humid. I spray the tub once a day. They will shed and eat it. I wait until they digest and pass this shed. It is a very noticeable normally greenish bowel movement. After this I normally start offering appropriate size prey items. I normally see feeding about the 3rd day after hatch. After day 7 and no eating I cut the open a prey item and carefully smear gut across the lips of the hatchling. This almost never fails to spur a feeding response. They will normally take prey by themselves after this. I feed everyday as much as they want. They are growing and you don't want any chance at stunting them. Where are the pictures?!?!

reptiles1

mitch's marvelous geckos
its the 3rd day and he did shed. i put crickets in there but he hast taken intrest. i have him in very moist vermiculite does that work?

30secondstobob

Two months ago I had a hatchling take eleven days to eat his first meal. I am 100% certain of this as I had every food item accounted for. Tried all the rcommended tricks to get this baby to eat with no avail. As long as he continued to lap misted water, I didn't give up on him. Re-homed him today at 20 grams! Bob

Visit our friends