What to do during summer Daylight hours?

jolieg8

Where I live, summer is rapidly approaching and I've only had my gecko since fall, so this is our first summer together. Daylight hours can go from 4a.m. to 9p.m. and I'm not sure what to do about my gecko's light time.
His enclosure in a room with a big north-facing window so he doesn't receive any direct daylight, but the room is brightly illuminated. For the winter, I had a UVB light for him so he can have 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness, but now I'm not sure what to do for summer.
Do I put a blanket over his enclosure? Do I let it be? changing his tank's location isn't an option. I can't seem to find anything online about it.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My geckos are in my living room and I'm often up late at night with the lights on. I have reptiles that are active at night and other reptiles that are active during the day. Everyone is fine with it. I recommend you just go along as usual and don't worry about it (I live in New England).

Aliza

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
If you feel like your gecko isn't getting enough darkness you can absolutely cover his cage to block out the light. I'm sure he'd appreciate that! I try to usually maintain more or less 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark. that's pretty easy down here in Southern California but it also means not leaving lights on around him and not being too loud too late. Being a good roommate :D

Visit our friends