What To Feed A Sick Gecko

Jolenels

3 Year Member
So as mentioned in a previous post, Dora is sick. She has something in both eyes that could be either shed or infection. I have no vet available. A local breeder suggested a drop or two of polysporin eye drops in the eyes once a day and a gentle swipe of a qtip. We are on day 3 with no improvement :(. He said to give it a week and if there is no change to come back.

My question is eating. Dora already lost a lot of tail fat as she seemed to have slowed down on eating insanely since winter came. Her tail was still alright, just not as fat as I prefer, but I assumed come summer it would fatten up again. But now that she can't see she won't eat and it's getting skinnier and skinnier FAST. I've tried putting meal worms in a feeding dish and her right there. I've tried holding both meal worms and crickets in tweezers and presenting them to her face....she licks them and leaves. I'm very worried about her tail size. Is there any way I can get her to eat? Anything she can eat other then live insects?

Jolenels

3 Year Member
I should state she is not exactly hand tamed. My hubby can hold her and she is calmer then anyone else but she will not sit still. I can't hold her, at all. She has always been nervous around me and over time I have become nervous of her since she morphs in to a flying squirrel every time I hold her. I am administering the drops by ushering her in to a container where she has limited movement and cannot climb out and I'm sure that's just adding to her mistrust of me. So holding her in one hand and forcing something down her gullet may not be a viable option for us.

Jolenels

3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1427789067671.jpg

This is Dora right now. The stuff in the lid is actually ground up meal worm and water (barf....now that's love) and she was licking at it. Not with a ton of enthusiasm but at least it was something. I originally had it in a syringe but she was getting spooked by the syringe popping up in her face when she cant 100% see

Visit our friends