bonus41

this case really baffled me!

Species: brook king snake
40 gallon tank
50 gallon UTH with thermostat
Substrate: aspen
Temperature: 83

Story:
He went into shed last week on feeding day so I skipped that feeding day knowing he wouldn't eat and I left him to do his thing, so I waited for him to shed then I checked up on him to make sure he shed fully and didn't new a humi bath and then he bit me...

This snake was always gentle and never bit me before, and I noticed him drooling a bit... Thinking he was cranky or hungry I left it be not thinking to much of it and I waited till the next day to feed him.

So I de-thaw the mouse like normal and continue to feed him and I noticed him acting very aggressive towards me and the mouse which is not like him, so I leave the mouse over night in his house so he can eat it on his own...

The next day I find the mouse still in his home, and I find him and pick him up, he was very aggressive trying to bite and he was rattling his tail. I took a closer look to see if he was injured or something to cause this behavior and this is what I found!

The jaw looked positioned funny kinda with a under bite, he could not open his mouth at all! Not even with a little force the jaw was stuck shut, there was also thick ooze coming out from the corners of his mouth, most of his tongue was gone! Just a clear little stump! His tounge used to be red and normal, but it was only about half the size, the forks were gone and it was clear... When he breathed there was blood pooling in his nostrils! I was so scared I called the closets vet, and he said there was Nothing to do but out him to sleep, which i did he must have been suffering!

But what was this? I never seen it before! The snake was neither old nor young.... I checked my reptile room and it hasn't spread to any others... But what was this strange disease, and can I prevent it from claiming another life?

Last edited:

Visit our friends