What would you do?

Adinar

Since having 4 sick geckos, we've limited the amount of tanks and hides that have been used to house these animals. Unfortunetally, Weds. we will be putting down the last of the sick ones since she still isn't making any progress. This leaves us with 2 ten gallown tanks that have been used. We're not sure if it's worth even keeping these tanks, given the fact that we still have no idea as to what made them all sick while the rest of our colony has thrived. What would you do in that type of situation? Let the tanks sit empty for a while and bleach a few times? Or just get rid of them? We just don't want to run into anymore possibly preventable health issues again.

MrLeoGecko

The bird Is The Word
i think seterlising them (carnt spell) lots of times with disinfectnt from a pet shop should be fine and letting them air out for a while and sorry about your situation!

B

BioWorkZ

Just use a bleach solution to clean the empty tank. Do it several times over, not just one wash to be 100% sure. I would personally not want to throw perfectly good tanks away knowing that a good scrub is all you need.

robin

Just use a bleach solution to clean the empty tank. Do it several times over, not just one wash to be 100% sure. I would personally not want to throw perfectly good tanks away knowing that a good scrub is all you need.

some parasites and such can not be killed by bleach. if whatever his geckos had is that contagious enough to kill all of them. i would throw them out just to be on the safe side.

B

BioWorkZ

some parasites and such can not be killed by bleach. if whatever his geckos had is that contagious enough to kill all of them. i would throw them out just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the correction Robin. How about bleach and follow up with some boiling water? There's gotta be an alternative to throwing the tanks away.

robin

nope, not even ammonia can kill some of the things out there. some things are extremely hard to get rid of. since he does not know what the cause of the illness is the best thing is to throw the tanks away and all the food bowls and water bowls, hides, cage furnitures etc.

HugeGenes&LoLa

Is it still possible that whatever they died from cannot be killed if the rest of the geckos haven't contracted it? I'm curious because I've never heard of a situation where some get so sick and the rest show no signs. I'm so sorry you had to go through this :(

Russ S

Re-Member
Considering the costs involved in trying to treat a sick animal compared to the cost of tank replacement, I'd toss the tanks and play it safe.

Adinar

Is it still possible that whatever they died from cannot be killed if the rest of the geckos haven't contracted it? I'm curious because I've never heard of a situation where some get so sick and the rest show no signs. I'm so sorry you had to go through this :(

We've been lucky, and got smart once we started realizing what was happening when it came to cross contamination. Unfortunetally, we were too late and ended up with 4 sickies rather than 2. >.< It was our newbie stupidity that has/is killed/ing the two who originally has no issues. I'm totally paranoid now. Stick with one tank, do all the stuff and then douse myself in hand sanitizer before moving on to the next.

All of our others are thriving like crazy, but I still don't feel safe putting others in there.

Palor

Chaotic Nights Reptile
Best to just destroy the contaminated tanks. That way nobody else can use them and possibly infect their animals with whatever maybe in the tanks.

Adinar

Loki has taken a turn for the worse tonight. I was sitting in the gecko/computer room earlier and she suddenly started screaming and thrashing around for a few seconds... started walking a little weird ... then went back to her moist hide to lay down as though nothing happened. She's also getting increasingly dehydrated dispite mistings, soakings. Soonest we could get her in at the vet is Weds.

Sadly, I'm almost hoping she slips away during the night rather than suffer through another day and a half.

I feel like such a bad owner. :cry:

Visit our friends