when do they start shedding?

mcfrog113

how young do babies start shedding? Mine is a couple weeks old, just purchased her from a reptile expo, just want to know when to expect it. :)

GeckoCrossing

My 2 week old hatchlings have already shed 3 times. They both shed 2 days after hatching, 6 days later and then just shed yesterday. Just to give you an idea.

mcfrog113

thanks! that definitely does help... i'm mainly worried about her shedding because she's been having eating problems due to stress i believe because I just got her..and so i'm trying to maintain zero contact with her (except for cage maintenance)..so if she needs to shed im worried that i'll stress her out more if i need to assist with her toes etc. Also how important is misting the cage? how often should u do it? because its a desert animal, so i'm confused on that...is it only during shedding?

TranceZ

thanks! that definitely does help... i'm mainly worried about her shedding because she's been having eating problems due to stress i believe because I just got her..and so i'm trying to maintain zero contact with her (except for cage maintenance)..so if she needs to shed im worried that i'll stress her out more if i need to assist with her toes etc. Also how important is misting the cage? how often should u do it? because its a desert animal, so i'm confused on that...is it only during shedding?

Geckos should have no problem shedding their skin off 100% as long as they have a humid hide that is moist and warm (humid)

Since you said you had a hatchling, here's a video on how I setup my hatchling tubs. I know you might not be working with a rack, but this is exactly all you need for them and it should give you an idea. hope this helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwhLZCUq5XI

Last edited:

Visit our friends