where are my eggs?

thom_fish

I just had a question for the breeders out there...

my levis levis mated about 2.5 weeks ago. i know this cause i caught them in the act. :D but now i am playing the waiting game. I have piled up the sand in one corner and i am keeping it moist but not too moist. and it looks like she might have eggs but i think i am just getting impatient. I am a first time breeder and this is their first time breeding as well. does anyone have any advice? how long from breeding does it usually take for them to lay? and can they retain the eggs? if so is this dangerous?

thanks

thom

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Thom, female levis can be pretty particular about where they lay their eggs, and can become egg-bound perhaps a little more often than other geckos. If she is eating, then don't worry yet. Try a humid hide with 1/2 sand and 1/2 peat moss... with a hole in the side (they don't typically climb onto structures that much.)

thom_fish

yes i might have to try that. it is two weeks (coming up to three) since i saw them mating i have worked out.

so the female did make a tunnel last night where i had piled up the sand and i destroyed it trying to find eggs...no luck. would they lay in a tunnel like that? or do they dig straight down?

I havent actually seen either my male or female eat in a while. they usually let the crickets run around for while before hunting. i noticed the female tail was a lot smaller than usual and i took that as her using a lot more enegry to produce eggs. so i made sure that night i put plenty of crickets in. I put in a lot. the next day all but a few were gone so i am figuring that they ate them (there were about 12 so more than one could eat on its own). so the moral of this long winded story is that i am pretty sure that she is eating but as i havent wittnessed it i cant say with 100% conviction.

thom_fish

Yes Bob about a week ago. Sadly I didn't even have time to get excited because i am in exam period. i was amazed how large the eggs are and have no idea how she got them out of her :main_cool3:

but thanks for the advice all. i am hoping they arent infertile. it is a week in and they havent shrivled at all. i hope that is a good sign?

Knobs

congrats on getting eggs hopefully they are fertile.if you have a pen light you can put it next to the egg if the egg glows pink its fertile. goodluck

Bob

thom_fish

thanks guys...well firstly let me just say that i am completely surprised that she layed another clutch so quickly (only 3 weeks!) and it is her first clutch...so hopefully they are going to survive.

i am incubating them at 29 degrees celcius and by my calculations the first clutch will most likely be hatching from the first week of january. i cant wait!

Visit our friends