• Hova-Bator w/ Turbo Fan

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Reptibator

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Exo Terra Incubator

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Herpluver

So I am looking to buy a second incubator. Currently I have a Hova-bator without the fan. The temps aren't very even across the entire thing, but it does its job. But now, I need another incubator. Because I need one set around 82, and the other around 90.

So I have been looking at buying one of these possible 3.

A - The Hova-bator turbo fan model - I can find one of these online for around $80 or so. Granted, I would have it on a different thermostat instead of that wafer t-stat. The turbo fan would help keep temps more evenly. It is kind of ugly, though.

B - The Reptibator from Zoo Med - I can get one from Pangea for $115. It has a built in T-stat, with alarm. I think its larger than the Hova-bator. It' looks nice, but I have heard its slightly flimsy, and has the same issue as the regular Hova-bator with keeping even temps across the entire incubator.

C - The Exo Terra Incubator - I haven't been able to find this for cheaper than $180 shipped. It has heating and cooling, a built in T stat, multiple shelves, neat design. Main issue with this is I have read quite a few reviews about keeping temps in this thing. People have said they can't confide in this one that it will hold proper temps. I have heard the cooling function barely works well at all. All this amongst other complaints that the design is shoddy, the door is flimsy, etc. etc..

I am buying a T stat at the same time. Likely one with two zones. So I will have another T stat to run any incubator I get, even just for back up.

What would you guys recommend?

Or do you have other recommendations?

Please vote and comment below! Thanks!

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
Nature Spirit.:main_thumbsup:
I also was using the Hova-bator without a fan, and the temps did fluctuate quite a bit. I love my Nature Spirit....it keeps the temps perfect. I also read all the reviews on the Exo Terra and Repibator, and decided on the Nature Spirit...no regrets!

favrielle

For the price, as long as you set it up right, I'd say the Reptibator is a good low-cost choice. I used Hovabator as a teen to hatch chickens, ducks, and geese, and I always hated that thing. Lost some awesome chicks just before hatching because it never would keep the temps stable.

I currently have a Reptibator in my basement, so the room temps are pretty stable without much fluctuation. Well, usually. This last week, we've had NO a/c and 95* F and up temperatures in my area. Despite this, the Reptibator didn't fluctuate that much. I have it set for 89* F (which makes the temp in the substrate of my dummy hatching container 85.6 near the "front" of the 'bator and about 86.5 near the "back" of the 'bator where the heating element coil is closer together. I do have 4 disposable containers full of water in there, though, as a heat-sink, which might have some affect on the consistent temps, and my hatch container/dummy containers are set on top of the water containers. Now if my girls would just lay a few good eggs, I could test out its effectiveness as an incubator, lol.

Last edited:

Herpluver

Unfortunately, the Nature's Spirit is way out of my price range at a minimum of $425 shipped.. with being 5 x's more than the cheapest and 2.5 x's more than the most expensive incubator I was in the market for, i will have to pass.

Also, for its price you would assume it would have a T-stat, but it doesn't. Due to the lack of a T-stat and it's basic mini-fridge design, I believe the Nature's Spirit incubator to be way outside of the price range of a small time hobbyist such as myself. Even if it had a T-stat, with the designs and availability of current incubators, i'd say it's only worth around $250-$300 maximum.

I have decided I am just going to build my own out of a cooler and some flexwatt. I can achieve the same performance as this fancy smancy Nature's Spirit for less than $50.00 of materials... . I plan on wrapping 12" flexwatt all around the inside walls so to avoid temp fluctuations or hot spots. Also, I am buying a Herpstat 2, so this will run the incubator and my new baby rack from Boaphile.

@Fav - Hmmm, I am guessing those heat sinks definitely have something to do with it. After reading more horror stories over the past few weeks I think im going to avoid the Bator and the Exo Terra altogether.

Thanks for the responses :)

Last edited:

DrCarrotTail

I think with the right materials you could replicate the stability and efficiency of a NS incubator. I just picked up a damaged one directly from them since attend a local reptile show. If it helps your design at all, they have two plugs, one for the heat tape and the other for what looks like a high powered computer CPU fan. The fan runs 24/7 and the heat tape is on a proportional thermostat in a separate compartment. Let us know what you come up with!

beezy

I wouldn't get the turbofan hovabator because I heard it overheats and makes the incubator too hot sometimes. but what I personally use is a normal hovabator but with a computer fan I wired up myself and it keeps the entire incubator at one stable temp and works like a charm for me. also probably the cheapest besides building your own.

Nemo

I didn't know leopards gecko eggs need incubator??? I put all my in the storeroom inside a shoes box and it hatch

Visit our friends