White bubble growth in eye, conjuctival sac?? Help pinky!

M

mypreludeisred

Hello

My Tremper Albino Pinky has a good life, but since she was young has had eye troubles. Usually in a specific eye, but sometimes both. You my have seen my past threads which show that she had an abscess removed from behind her eye.

Now there is a white bubble growth looking thing in the corner of the same eye. It is very bubbly and her whole eye is swollen shut. I can get her to open it and she is very very friendly and will not hesitate to be held.

She has been to the vet countless times for her eye swollen shut, which I imagine was because of this growth, it just wasn't big or infront of the eye yet.

He kept prescribing me ciproflox...in drops. After 300+ dollars in visits and eye drops this is now where i am at. I have attached pics.

Any clues, ideas I would greatly appreciate it. I dont think the vet is the solution here. I dont think eye drops fix this. You can see it is actually pushing on her eye ball now.

Last edited by a moderator:

JordanAng420

I think that maybe whatever is affecting Pinky, it's resistant to Ciproflox. I think Pinky might need a different antibiotic.

Do you have any other options for a second opinion, or is that the only vet who will see exotics? Can you call him, and ask him to switch your antibiotics and tell him that obviously if the infection (or whatever it is) keeps coming back, it's not being treated with the correct treatment plan. THere's lots of other stuff out there besides Cipro...he can teach you to give injections of a drug called "Fortaz" which I find to be highly effective for conjunctivitis...which it appears to be...and yes, it can keep coming back if it isn't treated with the correct medication.

It's like if I keep getting sick, and the doctor keeps prescribing me Amoxicillin, and I don't get any better, if I go back there he shouldn't give me MORE Amoxicillin, he should culture me to find out exactly what KIND of bacteria I have, and then choose the medication that fits the diagnosis. Same thing for geckos with infections. Also if you choose to call the office, you can mention that you'd like to try ointment in the eye instead of drops...it generally stays in place much better than drops.

At this point, if the problem has kept reoccuring as often as you say it has, unfortunately there is no "home remedies" you can use. You need to find a good, confident vet that sees lots of reptiles (mine keeps reptiles himself), and yes, this might mean spending a little more money.

M

mypreludeisred

Thanks for the responses

Can you call him, and ask him to switch your antibiotics and tell him that obviously if the infection (or whatever it is) keeps coming back, it's not being treated with the correct treatment plan.

I just called and told the lady at the desk that. Cip isn't working obviously and it probably won't ever. She said she put a note it for the Vet and I will get a call shortly. I hope he prescribes me something else with out a visit.

I just hate the visit fee. Like if I am bringing my gecko back several times for the same thing that isn't fixed. Why do I have to pay 40 times everytime just to walk in?

I can easily give Pinky shots as she will stay put with ease and I have had to use needles before.

She eats very well when she isn't in pain to open the eye. I wonder if she knows she needs to stock up before the pain sets back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mypreludeisred

still no call back and its 5 pm. I am pretty angry. I need a new vet here.

M

mypreludeisred

I bet the vet crept out of the office secretly so he could have his weekend and not have to deal with my pinky. Sorry but I think most vets are greedy.

M

mypreludeisred

called me today and gave me more cipro. I am going to use that until the terramycin ointment I ordered comes in, I read online that is good as well.

M

mypreludeisred

She had an abscess on the same eye in the back towards her ear.

This is in the front of her eye. Any ideas? I tried looking for a herp vet list and the vet by me is on the herp vet list. He actually specializes in exotics...

I am at a loss here. I need to help my little pinky

Eye is now completely swollen shut and the skin is a nice hue of red. Obviously a sign of infection?

Visit our friends