Who am I?

Sean1976

Hello all,
I just bought my daughter her first leopard gecko. She absolutely adores it but is also curious what type it is so she can know what to call it besides a leopard gecko.

Could any of you help me narrow down what morph/type it is?

Also, how do you sex leopard gecko's? I used to breed snakes so am familiar with popping and probing but don't want to do anything invasive given this is a pet and not something she plans to breed. She just wanted to know the sex for naming purposes.

Oh and if it is relevant I was told the gecko is about 5 months old.

Thanks in advance,

Sean PXL_20211114_000437121~2.jpg PXL_20211114_000447221~2.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The standard geckos hatch with yellow coloring and black bands that go from side to side. As they mature, the bands break up into spots and the spots can migrate away from their original locations. You can see from this gecko that the bands are starting to break up. You can also see that there are some original bands on the body and the tail that were not complete (we call them "broken" bands). Geckos that have incomplete bands on both the body and the tail are called "jungle" because it kind of looks like jungle camouflage. If the black that's there now stays that dark (you can already see where the black is fading to gray in some parts), you could also say that the gecko is "high contrast" but that's not really a standard morph name. I'd go with "jungle".
There will be no need to probe a leopard gecko like you would do with a snake. Google "sexing a leopard gecko" and look at the images. Your gecko may still be a little young to be able to tell.

Aliza

Sean1976

The standard geckos hatch with yellow coloring and black bands that go from side to side. As they mature, the bands break up into spots and the spots can migrate away from their original locations. You can see from this gecko that the bands are starting to break up. You can also see that there are some original bands on the body and the tail that were not complete (we call them "broken" bands). Geckos that have incomplete bands on both the body and the tail are called "jungle" because it kind of looks like jungle camouflage. If the black that's there now stays that dark (you can already see where the black is fading to gray in some parts), you could also say that the gecko is "high contrast" but that's not really a standard morph name. I'd go with "jungle".
There will be no need to probe a leopard gecko like you would do with a snake. Google "sexing a leopard gecko" and look at the images. Your gecko may still be a little young to be able to tell.

Aliza
Thanks for the info

Visit our friends