Who has been bit by a venomuos snake?

courtnashe

I lovez me my animals
So who has? I have been bit by a pygmy dusky rattle snake when I was moving it off my walkway. It hurt a whole lot, so what was your experience and how did it happen?

Salt4Sam

Beardies and Uromastyx
I got tagged out in the everglades by a pygmy rattlesnake. Luckily for me it was a dry bite, i probably wouldn't have made it to the hospital, took almost an hour and a half to drive there. lol

LeopardGeckoGirlie

I've never been bitten by a venomous snake, but my bro in law has been bitten twice (bush viper and something else) and our family friend got bitten by his green mamba just last month.

Salt4Sam

Beardies and Uromastyx
I've never been bitten by a venomous snake, but my bro in law has been bitten twice (bush viper and something else) and our family friend got bitten by his green mamba just last month.

Yikes!! I dont know much about them, but Mamba is a name that gives me chills. I hear they are nasty.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Alright, since this thread isn't getting much action, and hopefully for good reason, I will share that I have ALMOST been bitten by either a timber rattler or an eastern diamondback in western North Carolina.

It was one of the prettiest snakes I have ever seen. Almost solid black.

I was backpacking in Joyce Kimer/Slickrock Wilderness on the last day doing a big descent and travelling top speed.

I didn't even see him until he rattled and I was about a foot away from him. If you believe popular opinion about snakes, he should have struck. he was on a tree that the Park Service had cut off the trail and slid just to the side. If he had bitten me, it would have been right in the thigh or pelvis, and we were a good two hours from the trailhead. I don't know how bad the bite would have been, but it would have been at least five hours before I got help.

He let me go, so after cleaning my shorts, I stood there and watched him slither off into the woods to find a less trafficked spot to sun, saluting him out of respect and gratitude. :)

Keith N

Last year I was installing landscape lights for a Kentucky Derby party for some rich lady around here. I arrived well before sunrise and was installing pvc in trees. I had worked in this island for an hour. As I was unrolling the wire I came within a foot of a copperhead. I do believe the only thing that helped me was an awesome cool evening that slowed it down. I have a pic on my old phone and will try to upload. I put into a bucket and placed in a ditch down the road.

courtnashe

I lovez me my animals
Mambas are some scary suckers, my family is from South Africa, and my mum used to work in a hospital, and she said it was a real awful thing to see someone come in with a mamba bite. They usually did not survive.

Magic Merlin

Got nailed by a timber rattler in Southern Illinois.........it was given to me in July and I was in the process of releasing it in November.........nice 7500.00 hospital visit but I was introduced to some wicked narcotics.

WulfSC

Growing up, I lived in the area of South Carolina known as "the lowcountry". I lived about 25 miles outside of Charleston, where it's very swampy. My youngest brother (who's 2 years older than me) and I spent alot of time in the woods when not working (we lived on a farm). We were playing cops and robbers, and of course, I was a "robber" so I got shot and fell to the ground near a fallen tree. I rolled right into a bed of cotton mouths. I got bitten by one. I consider myself fortunate that it was only once. I have a wicked scar from that encounter.

Then, seriously, about 4 years later I was moving some debris from around the house after a tropical storm came through. I reached down and grabbed some broken branches and was tagged by copperhead. Luckly, with that encounter, it was a dry bite.

In 2002, I was at my parents house feeding their horses. And was bitten by a brown recluse... so, with that, I try to stay away from anything with venom. Considering I don't have the best odds around them. LOL!

One thing I gained from all these encounters is respect for all things around me...even those I can't see.

kathryn

Friend of a friend was tagged by a (captive) cobra. Am told they had trouble breathing and threw up for a few days. They didn't go to the hospital due to the fact it is illegal to keep venomous reptiles where they live, so obviously going to the hospital and saying you were bit by your cobra might end with you getting in trouble.. so being a man I suppose he just toughed it out.

Personally, if I were to get bit by anything venomous, I'm just going to go to the hospital regardless of it was my fault or not.

Gregg M

Registered Member
Friend of a friend was tagged by a (captive) cobra. Am told they had trouble breathing and threw up for a few days. They didn't go to the hospital due to the fact it is illegal to keep venomous reptiles where they live, so obviously going to the hospital and saying you were bit by your cobra might end with you getting in trouble.. so being a man I suppose he just toughed it out.

Personally, if I were to get bit by anything venomous, I'm just going to go to the hospital regardless of it was my fault or not.

I do not know how legit that story might be that was told to you... Normally cobra bites are a very serious deal... Going untreated will lead to death more so than not... You are looking at a 75% mortality rate if it goes untreated... That is if we are talking about one of the two most commonly kept cobra species which is the monocled cobra or the spectacled cobra... If it was not one of those two species you are looking at a much higer mortality rate... The person would also have some necrosis from the venom and would need medical attention to tend to the wound...

With that being said, I have been keeping venomous snakes for a bit over 18 years now I believe and have never been bitten... Had a couple of close calls but no bites...

Last edited:

zbsadler

I tend to leave venomous snakes alone unless they need to be relocated. I've handled a few but have never been bitten thankfully. I did however, see my dad get bit by a juvenile timber rattler. The snake was on the road in front of our house when we lived in south Georgia and we didn't want it to end up in our fence where are dogs were so he decided to move it. Well, while he was walking over to the snake some a-hole intentionally ran it over. It was still alive so dad was going to move it to the other side of the road or go ahead and stop it from suffering. He held its head down and reached down to grab it behind the head but it slipped out from under his shoe and bit him on the finger. Luckily it only got one fang in. He wouldn't let me drive his car so he drove himself to the hospital where he stayed overnight. His arm swelled pretty good and he was in a good bit of pain but after a couple of doses of antivenin and some rest he went home the next morning. We did learn that insurance companies don't like to pay for snake bites and we got a $50,000 bill but we were able to dispute it and only pay the deductible of $5,000. Lesson learned though lol. Never be to comfortable around anything venomous no matter how experienced you may be.

rickmoss95

I do not know how legit that story might be that was told to you... Normally cobra bites are a very serious deal... Going untreated will lead to death more so than not... You are looking at a 75% mortality rate if it goes untreated... That is if we are talking about one of the two most commonly kept cobra species which is the monocled cobra or the spectacled cobra... If it was not one of those two species you are looking at a much higer mortality rate... The person would also have some necrosis from the venom and would need medical attention to tend to the wound...

With that being said, I have been keeping venomous snakes for a bit over 18 years now I believe and have never been bitten... Had a couple of close calls but no bites...

i agree a hundred percent about that probably being maybe...not so true. i have kept cobras and most of mine were pretty deffensive, the only way most people would survive a cobra bite would be if it were a dry bite...and i dont think any cobra i have ever owned would not pump anyone full of venom if they got the chance! cobras possess neurological venom and his respritorty and heart functions would have ceased working. im not saying a cobra will not dry bite, but in my experience...i have never heard of a cobra dry bite! and i have fortunatly not been bitten! i have come close, but luckily...no cigar! i dont like smoke anyways, lol.

Visit our friends