who's into amphibians?

Jetfire

my girlfriend has been a frog junkie for awhile,she has a normal Pacman ( baseball size,sex unknown) and a male blue phase White's tree frog. I just surprised her with an early Xmas present; a young (golf ball size) giant African bullfrog,and a supposed female blue phase White's tree frog.
Naturally,she flipped,and I got to set up 2 new enclosures (yay, ulterior motives!!). So, who else keeps frogs,or other amphibians?

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I have two red-eyed tree frogs and 4 thumbnail darts (vents). I love frogs but probably wouldn't get them again unless someone hands them to me. I hate dealing with the feeders; crickets for the tree frogs (they won't touch dubias) and fruit flies for the darts.

Jetfire

I don't mind the whole bug aspect,as she breeds her own crickets. She just gave the Pacman & GABF their first pinky mice the other day,and I'll admit that it was pretty damned awesome watching them chow down.

Jetfire

update- Santa decided that my girlfriend needed another frog,so he delivered one in the weirdest way ever... I found a Grey treefrog in the bathroom...in the toilet,of all freaking places,under the rim. Frankly,it's amazing the city water didn't kill it,because I only saw it move when I flushed. So,I rescued it,rinsed it off with some spring water,and set it up in one of my hatchling gargoyle setups.
And that's the story of how Tara got "Bidet",the Grey treefrog. I'm leaning towards releasing it onto the front porch come springtime,she is torn,because this is one calm wild treefrog. still don't know how it got into the house in the first place,let alone how it managed to get into the commode.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
So weird! Love the name though. :) My mom found a grey treefrog in her basement near the littler boxes once. I took the little guy outside and put him in a tree. It was summer then though. He was pretty calm as well; I think it's all in how you handle them.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I love amphibians and I almost got a couple newts from the reptile show this weekend but my better judgement prevailed. I have plenty of animals at the time :)

Tialung

I love amphibians too! I would love for my hubby to purchase me an African Bullfrog! That's an awesome gift. I don't have any amphibians currently but a Pacman frog & African bullfrog are on my list as soon as some reptiles outgrow their tanks :) How do you have them set up? What type of substrate do you use?

Jetfire

coconut fiber,I use it for everything but my leopard gecko and aquatic turtles. the Treefrogs all have a layer of sphagnum moss over the coconut,because they won't bury down like the other frogs she has. the Pyxie and the Pacman are usually either buried up to their eyeballs,or hanging out in their water bowls. although,the Pyxie frog has been using it's flowerpot house more lately.

Tialung

Thanks that is what I have seen used mostly when searching the care. I would love to see pictures of the frogs :p! I think we need a frog forum.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Some frog photos here would be great! What are the big frog forums? I'm not too aware of what sites are out there. I'd be happy to get one started though!

Tialung

Wow, that is some fast growing. Thanks for the picture that is a nice looking frog. I think I am going to ask hubby for a Fantasy Pacman frog for Valentines day. I found a pink one.

Visit our friends