Wild Caught Fat Tail Gecko?

LeoGirl575

Hello guys. I have two African Fat tail Geckos. One I got from a breeder, and she is almost 3 years old. She eats anything I give her - crickets, mealworms, waxworms, or superworms.
The other one is about 7 months old, and he'll only eat crickets. He is a normal morph, and he's fairly small. I got him from a pet store, and didn't think to ask, "Is it possible he's wild caught?" He eats fine, and poops fine, and was with 2 other fat tails that looked like him in a tank. What are the chances that he could be wild caught? It just occurred to me a couple days ago, and now I'm a bit worried, because he has been around my other geckos.

Thanks in advance

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Any time you bring a new herp into the hmoe it should always be quaranteened for 30-90 days before interacting with your existing herps. If it is wild caught it could bring a whole host of things with it. Honestly I'd be calling the petstore back and asking them. They have to keep that paperwork for a while so they'll still be able to tell you.

LeoGirl575

Yeah, I quarantined him for a good while. I've had him for more than a month, and quarantined him for a good month. I'm going to that pet store tomorrow, so I'll make sure to ask.

Thank you!

GeckoGurl

My AFT will only eat crickets as well. AFT's are actually pickier eaters compared to Leos. Also depends on what it was being brought up on I have noticed that AFT's tend to "stick with what they know" I could not get her to eat for 2 weeks (mealworms cause thats what I had for my leos) and as soon as I threw a cricket in there she was all over it!

LeoGirl575

Yeah, same thing happened with him! Luckily, my other AFT will eat anything I give her, but not a lot of it. :p

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
usually the wc afts are a lot less picky than cb. my wc geckos will attack any bug i put in front of them.

i think its becuase in the wild the geckos dont really get a choice what to eat, and if you see them when they are first imported they are really skinny. when they see something that can possibly go in their tummy, they go for it.

i think of cb geckos like spoiled rich kids that dont want to eat their broccoli.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
usually the wc afts are a lot less picky than cb. my wc geckos will attack any bug i put in front of them.

i think its becuase in the wild the geckos dont really get a choice what to eat, and if you see them when they are first imported they are really skinny. when they see something that can possibly go in their tummy, they go for it.

i think of cb geckos like spoiled rich kids that dont want to eat their broccoli.

lol really? Its been the complete opposite for me. Whenever i bring in Imports, all they will touch are crickets. And sometimes it takes them 2+ weeks to begin feeding on those.

I have had very little luck getting WC's to eat Superworms or Mealworms.

gixxer3420

Same with me Imperial, my imports will only eat crickets when they finally decide to start eating. A lot of my cb will eat crickets, roackes, super worms, and or meal worms.

leif

When I was dealing with wild caught AFTs they only accepted Crickets. One other thing to mention about quarantine is that you should always get a fecal exam done by a herp vet. I highly recommend it especially when buying from a pet store. Breeders that advertise routine and random fecal exams I am a little less concerned with but still get it done just to be on the safe side.

Visit our friends