"Wild type" gargoyle gecko?

Jheuloh

Lost in the Jello Bowl
I know that among crested geckos, buck-skins are generally considered the color variant that the animals were originally imported with, and I wonder; what sort of colors did gargoyle geckos originally import with? Some accounts I've seen say marbled pattern, but that doesn't say anything about the colors (grey? brown?) Does anybody here know what colors & patterns gargoyle geckos initially started out with when Rhacodactylus was the big thing in 1994?

Edit: I do understand, however, that rhacodactylus don't conform to the typical concept of "Morphs", but I'd say it's a good question to ask, considering how far off most crested geckos are from their import-ancestors in 1994. :p

Paleofish

Well I think with gargoyle geckos they ranged in color like most cheaper gargs you can get, while the higher end geckos being selective bred for color traits.

For example here are my pair of gargs, and probably the wild gargs would range through this color and pattern.

IMG_0086.jpg

DSCN5411.jpg

robin

i would imagine reticulated patterns would be more common and varying degrees of brown and greys would be the the norm. just think of what they would have to look like to blend into trees.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
I agree with Robin, just like with crested geckos where the wild colors tend to be a mix of browns and yellows, gargs are more then likely the same way. I am sure they could vary between the stripe and the reticulated, but for survival the less difference between you and that tree branch the better

thegeckoguy23

I agree with Robin, just like with crested geckos where the wild colors tend to be a mix of browns and yellows, gargs are more then likely the same way. I am sure they could vary between the stripe and the reticulated, but for survival the less difference between you and that tree branch the better

+1

Visit our friends